URGENT! Turn on Macbook without a Battery

Reaction score
I have a 13Alumium Unibody Macbook(2008) running Leopard.

I am currently awaiting on a new battery in the post and in the meantime I am wondering is there a way of turning it on without a battery. When i connect the charger when the battery is in, the green light on the charger connection Only barely lights up, its green but very faint. Its not a problem with the charger because i have used colleagues chargers who all do the same(barely light up)...

I have managed to turn the computer on a couple of times randomly by pressing the power switch and just hoping for the best. I have tryed pressing the random key sequences and holding them for 5 seconds and everything else that I have seen on these forums. However I havent read anything about the green light on the battery being very faint...

Each time I have got the Macbook to power on, the battery symbol on the desktop has had a 'X' where the charging sign normally is. This has happened when the battery was in and out...

Anyhelp or advice will be much appreciated, I just need a certain way of turning on the laptop. Sometimes Ive spent 10 seconds and it turned and other days nearly an hour until just giving up.. Have alot of work to do!!

Please Help
Shaun

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might be having a problem with the MagSafe adapter. Your machine should turn on normally whether or not the battery is in it. The only problem you'll have with the battery removed is that machine will run slower - but that's by design. When you get the new battery, make sure you try another MagSafe adapter to be safe.

Reaction score
I have found a work-around for a similar, possibly-related issue, so I figured I'd post.

I'm using a 15" MacBook Pro from late 2008, running Lion (10.7.3). My battery has badly malfunctioned (swollen to the point that the case will no longer close with the battery installed). My new battery is in the mail. My AC adapter appears to be functioning normally (lights green/amber when plugged in).

My computer will not wake up and will not turn on unless the battery is connected. If I pull the battery out while the AC adapter is plugged in, the computer will immediately sleep and refuse to wake up until I cram the battery back in. It exhibits some other odd behaviors as well. Resetting the SMC had no effect.

I have managed to get it to boot and remain powered on with only the AC adapter by doing the following:
- Shut down the computer (i.e. off, not sleep).
- Cram the malfunctioning battery in well enough to make contact (AC Adapter power light turns yellow/amber).
- Push power button (computer turns on, begins booting).
- Remove battery immediately, so it boots using only the AC adapter.
- Change energy saver preferences so the computer never sleeps (once it sleeps, it resumes the behavior described above).

Perhaps it's not the most elegant solution, but hopefully it can get someone out of a bind that has affected at least two of us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.