Router Privacy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
Here's the situation: my roommate controls the modem and the wireless router for the house. The problem: I don't really trust him. I know that he tries to invade the privacy of everyone that lives in this house. I've even caught him trying to get on my computer while I was out of the room on multiple occasions. He knows a lot about Windows and Unix operating systems and he really knows his way around a Mac.

My question is: How can I ensure that he can't see what I look at on the internet and files/programs on my computer?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
First thing to do is get a new roommate!

Depending on the router he may be able to log your network activities. It's not so easy to get around that but the first thing to do is select a strong password for your Mac user accounts and turn of sharing of any kind in system preferences.

You could look at using a secure proxy/VPN with would encrypt your internet traffic.

Depends how far you want to go to defeat this unfortunate individual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.