Flashing Apple logo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" Macbook Mac OS X Pro 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
The Apple logo on the exterior of my Macbook pro flashed periodically when it is closed. I'd say it is flashing every minute or so. Anybody have any idea as to what could be causing this? Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" macbook, 4th gen ipod touch
do you have anything plugged in by usb, like a mouse?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Contrary to what some say and think, that Apple Logo is not a light. It's showing the back of the LCD Panel. So what you are seeing is the LCD coming alive when it supposed to be sleeping. Like the other user asked, do you have anything plugged in that could wake the computer? If not let us know and we can go from there.

OP
degraziap1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying. Nope, nothing plugged in except for the power cord. This is the first time I've noticed the flashing, and I'm 99.9% positive that this is the first time it's happened. I turned it off overnight to see if it might resolve itself, but it appears as though it hasn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Is this when the computer is in sleep mode then, not powered off?
I suspect it may be that the Mac isn't fully registering the closed lid if so.

OP
degraziap1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
neither prourleg

Yeah, it's happening during sleep mode when I close my mac. Thanks for the help, I'll find some way to keep it fully closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well it should close on the magnetic lock clip, but sometimes they can be awkward, especially if the hinge has gotten slightly damaged somehow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Make sure you do not have the display set to never sleep in Energy Saver and there is a
battery and power setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Possibly a bluetooth interference that is periodically waking up your MBP?

I would try disabling it and see if there are any differences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Will it still happen if you use the sleep mode manually instead of just closing it?

Reaction score
I have the same problem

I'm having the same problem. When I close my Macbook, the apple on the outside flashes periodically and if it's not plugged in, it will be dead the next time I try opening it, even if I closed it at full battery life.
I have tried manually putting it into sleep mode and the apple still flashes. It's very frustrating because I can't take my laptop anywhere anymore because it's always dead by the time I get anywhere.
There's nothing plugged in, I don't have bluetooth connected, I just don't know what is wrong with this thing.

OP
degraziap1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took my mac to the Apple store and found out what was causing for the flashing logo. For me, there was something wrong with the tab key, and the flashing was actually the tab key becoming stuck, and activating the computer, hence the logo lighting up periodically. I imagine yours is a similar situation. The logo doesn't actually light up, rather it's the back light that is coming from the other side of the screen. If yours is lighting up and draining battery when it's unplugged, I have to believe there is a key somewhere that is stuck and causing your mac to wake up. I suggest trying the tab key first, and taking it off and cleaning it as best as possible. Other than that, I think a visit to the Genius Bar is in order.

I'm having the same problem. When I close my Macbook, the apple on the outside flashes periodically and if it's not plugged in, it will be dead the next time I try opening it, even if I closed it at full battery life.
I have tried manually putting it into sleep mode and the apple still flashes. It's very frustrating because I can't take my laptop anywhere anymore because it's always dead by the time I get anywhere.
There's nothing plugged in, I don't have bluetooth connected, I just don't know what is wrong with this thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.