Operating system wiped out : (

Reaction score
Last month I got a Macbook that's about 6 years old and pretty dirty but other than that, it worked! It was awesome and for 100 dollars :D!

My friend said that there was a snow leopard upgrade that his friend had that he would use on mine but when he tried it wouldn't work but he wouldn't stop trying until finally the whole operating system was erased with no back up and I now I am stuck watching a flashing folder icon with a question mark on it.... :\

I bought the Mac OSX Tiger DVD and Xcode 2. Version 10.4..... When I insert the disc, it's like it's not reading it. I can hear the CDROM drive going but that flashing folder icon is still well, flashing! I have tried holding the C key down after turning the computer on... I just don't know what to do or if I even have the right installation kit in the first place, or if I need a new CDROM drive... I am at a complete loss right now. This is my first Mac and it was love at first sight. I am not feelin' a PC right now. At all. I just want it working again...

Any ideas? Anything? I'm not asking that guy to help me again :Lips-Are-Sealed:

OP
explusoh
Reaction score
"There is a condition that may occur on some Macintoshes where the system will not start up after the power has been turned on. The machine will give its normal system chime indicating that the system has passed some preliminary tests, but then the screen will show a folder with a question mark in it and the computer will not start up. There can be several reasons for why this may be happening.

The directory database, which keeps track of where files are stored on the hard drive, may have become corrupted. The corruption can often be repaired by utilities such as Disk First Aid for Mac OS 7-9 and Disk Utility for Mac OS X, which can be found on most system software install CDs. To initiate a repair, insert the system software CD into the CD drive of the affected computer and turn the system off. When the machine has shut down, turn it on again and hold down the 'C' key on the keyboard. The computer will automatically boot up from the CD, allowing you run the disk repair utility from the Utilities folder on the CD. On a Mac OS X system software installation disk, you will need to select Disk Utility from the Installer menu. Occasionally, it may be necessary to use a third-party disk repair utility such as TechTool Pro from MicroMat or Diskwarrior from Alsoft.

Another problem that can occur is the driver on the disk itself can become corrupted. If this is the case, the hard disk (HD) will not appear in any disk repair utility. This is a problem because you will need to reinitialize the HD, which will cause all the data on the HD to be lost. If the computer has a built-in Firewire port, it may be possible to boot it in Firewire Target Disk Mode on another Firewire-equipped Macintosh and copy the important files before reformatting the disabled HD.

The last sort of problem is the most severe: The hard drive's mechanical parts may have failed, which means the data on the drive is completely inaccessible. There are companies that will (for several hundred dollars) attempt to recover the data of such drives, but for most people the cost is prohibitively expensive. The best solution in this case is to have and maintain a current backup of important files."

Just found this article online but like I said, I'm a new Mac user and all I know is that it is a Macbook 13' that read "Mac OS X" above the different user accounts and using the Tiger opertating system...? Mac OS X Tiger.... that's what I just bought and it was bust. So, IDK.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Exactly which Tiger DVD do you have? Full Retail or a Gray DVD that came with another Mac?

That makes a big difference. Let us know so we can help you.

OP
explusoh
Reaction score
Exactly which Tiger DVD do you have? Full Retail or a Gray DVD that came with another Mac?

That makes a big difference. Let us know so we can help you.

I have tried both.
When I told the guy that sold it to me he brought over the grey disc and tried so he thought if I got ordered the full retail one it would work but... no.

My CD drive makes a few odd noises when I insert the discs but other than that it appears to be running properly but it could be because even when I hold the option key in only an arrow pops up, no options, no ... nothing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Last month I got a Macbook that's about 6 years old and pretty dirty but other than that, it worked! It was awesome and for 100 dollars :D!

My friend said that there was a snow leopard upgrade that his friend had that he would use on mine but when he tried it wouldn't work but he wouldn't stop trying until finally the whole operating system was erased with no back up and I now I am stuck watching a flashing folder icon with a question mark on it.... :\

If you are correct...and this laptop is 6 tears old...then it is not a Macbook...it's an iBook or a Powerbook. The oldest Macbook or Macbook Pro is 4.5 years old.

If it is an iBook or a Powerbook...then the reason why Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) is because Snow Leopard will not install on an iBook or Powerbook...and depending on the processor speed of the laptop...the maximum OS may be 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
explusoh
Reaction score
21ab9c9.gif

It is identical to that. I wish I knew the specs but I only had the laptop for maybe a 2 weeks before all this happened.

So if I were to sell it, where would be the best place to do so? Ebay, some Mac-purchasing site...? I'm thinking of just getting what I can out of it and the brand new start up disc and just buying one that won't cause me such a headache and leave the troubleshooting to someone who actually knows something about them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is identical to that. I wish I knew the specs but I only had the laptop for maybe a 2 weeks before all this happened.

So if I were to sell it, where would be the best place to do so? Ebay, some Mac-purchasing site...? I'm thinking of just getting what I can out of it and the brand new start up disc and just buying one that won't cause me such a headache and leave the troubleshooting to someone who actually knows something about them.

Yes that looks like a Macbook...and if that's the case it's not 6 years old...but 4 years old or less (depending on the model).

If it truly is a Macbook...$100 for it is a fantastic deal!!!:) My question would be...was this computer working 100% when you bought it?...since $100 is WELL BELOW it's current value. Depending on what exact model it is...the current value on it is (on the low end) $300-$350...on the higher end $500-$550.

If you sold this computer to get your money back ($100 + the cost of the startup disk)...you're going to probably pay a lot more for a similar model...probably at least $400-$500.

If you really want to sell it...I would try Craig's List first...then e-Bay.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
explusoh
Reaction score
Yes that looks like a Macbook...and if that's the case it's not 6 years old...but 4 years old or less (depending on the model).

If it truly is a Macbook...$100 for it is a fantastic deal!!!:) My question would be...was this computer working 100% when you bought it?...since $100 is WELL BELOW it's current value. Depending on what exact model it is...the current value on it is (on the low end) $300-$350...on the higher end $500-$550.

If you sold this computer to get your money back ($100 + the cost of the startup disk)...you're going to probably pay a lot more for a similar model...probably at least $400-$500.

If you really want to sell it...I would try Craig's List first...then e-Bay.

HTH,

- Nick

It worked perfectly! I never tried any other discs before the mishap so I don't know if the CD drive was working or not but other than that the computer was perfect! The guy was getting a new Macbook Pro and was just going to GIVE it away to someone so I have to intercept it because I have always wanted one.

I know I won't get another for $100 but paying $400 would be well worth it. Nothing fancy - just a Mac. I am not picky. I guess I am going to try it a few more times just to really convince myself it's really a done deal....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked perfectly! I never tried any other discs before the mishap so I don't know if the CD drive was working or not but other than that the computer was perfect!

If this Macbook truly does work fine (other than the CD/DVD drive)...$100 for it is still a fantastic deal...and I would keep it. You could replace the internal CD/DVD drive for around $150 (if you were able to do it yourself). Or you could buy an external CD/DVD drive for about $60.

$100 for the Macbook + $60 for an external drive is still well below the $400 is would cost you for a similar 100% working Macbook.

If you still want to sell it...and if this Macbook works as you say (fine but the CD/DVD doesn't work)...I'll buy it from you...and you can skip trying to sell it on Craig's List or e-Bay. PM me if you would like to sell it...and we can work out the details.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
explusoh
Reaction score
If this Macbook truly does work fine (other than the CD/DVD drive)...$100 for it is still a fantastic deal...and I would keep it. You could replace the internal CD/DVD drive for around $150 (if you were able to do it yourself). Or you could buy an external CD/DVD drive for about $60.

$100 for the Macbook + $60 for an external drive is still well below the $400 is would cost you for a similar 100% working Macbook.

If you still want to sell it...and if this Macbook works as you say (fine but the CD/DVD doesn't work)...I'll buy it from you...and you can skip trying to sell it on Craig's List or e-Bay. PM me if you would like to sell it...and we can work out the details.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Yeah, as far as I know it is the CD drive because I have tried 2 different installtion DVD's and still a flashing folder appears so it has to be that it's just not reading them. I'm going to talk to the guy who erased the operating system and find out exactly wheat he did from start to finish so I can rule out any other type of corruption. I'd hate for someone to buy it and it not be just the CD/DVD part, you know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.