• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

toast titanium vs titanium pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 500Gb, 2.66GHz. iPhone 5 32Gb, 16Gb iPod Nano, 8Gb iPod Nano
hello everybody, I am a new mac user and just tried to my first attempt at copying a DVD. I failed miserably. I have decided rather than using disk utility etc to burn a DVD, I just want a simple program to copy DVD's for me.

I am looking at Toast Titanium 10 and Toast Titanium 10 Pro. I have found both on eBay at good prices however Pro is around $100 more expensive than Titanium. What is the difference between them? Is Pro worth the extra money?

By the way, just for the forum rules: I am trying to copy an unprotected DVD. It's a DVD that has home video that was originally on a video and was put onto DVD by the local Kodak centre for me.

- Chris

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks a lot for your help, slydude. I decided to get the pro version. Enjoy some reputation! :)

- Chris

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad to help. Thanks, enjoying the rep as we speak. lol

C

chas_m

I'm not sure I'm clear on how Toast Titanium (a product I own and enjoy) is any "simpler" for this specific task than Disk Utility?

For Disk Utility, one would:
1. Mount the DVD, open Disk Utility, choose "New Image from (Device)."
2. Once the image is created, eject the original disk.
3. Insert blank DVD, click "Burn ..." choose image.

That's more or less it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For just doing a copy of a CD/DVD, I agree. Disk Utility will suffice. I also own Toast and love it but more for large amounts of files or converting a video from say AVI to DVD and then have it burn. I can make one click in Toast and walk away.

So Toast is a great burning application, but for a simple copy like that, you really don't need more than the Disk Utility.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to use a CD/DVD burning program on my windows laptop and now have replaced it with a mac. I am still trying to get used to it. I just want a program where I can insert a DVD, press "copy," wait a few minutes, insert a blank DVD, wait a few more minutes and then a copy of the DVD ejects. I don't want to fart around with creating images, selecting images and all that rubbish.

I just want the one click thing. Toast Titanium Pro sounds like my thing.

Thanks for your replies, guys!

- Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You could try Burn in the meantime, it's free and will do the exact thing you want, the way you want. It's only limited in advanced features.

Burn - Home

Reaction score
Handbreak

I always use a software called handbreak. It will condense a DVD right into an AVI. Depending on my specs, mine always turn out around 700mb. Then I pop them in toast, and slam about 5 full movies onto one DVD. No, not PERFECT quality... But it sure works for me. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.