airport express won't connect to pc

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find a topic like this, and google only yielded answers from before 2005, so be nice and answer my question.

I have an acer aspire revo r3610 and an hp laptop both running windows 7. I bought the acer in spring of 2010 and the hp last October. I got an airport express for my birthday which works great for my imac and ipod touch, but I can't get it to connect to my windows machines unless there is no security. I tried different combinations of signal (N 5 ghz b/g compatible etc) and nothing worked.

Upon googling my problem, I got hits from several years ago dealing with how to create a proper wep password in hex. Being new computers, they should support the other security options like wpa, right? But, when I try to connect using my windows machines, it detects the network, but won't connect. A few seconds after pressing "connect" I get "Cannot connect to network" in spite of having full bars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would use WPA2 and under TCP/IP settings see if you have configure IPv4 using DHCP
and it should prompt you for your wireless password.

OP
E
Reaction score
That looks like that was the way it was set up to begin with. I tried "renewing the lease" whatever that means, and that didn't work. I also tried installing the airport utility on the laptop and it can't even find the Airport express.

OP
E
Reaction score
I tried resetting the AE to factory defaults and resetting it up and it works fine now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.