Macbook Pro - New Power Adapter - Still Doesn't Charge

Reaction score
I have a few year old Macbook Pro. I run VMWare Fusion on it for Windows, which can drain the battery faster than just running the Mac stuff. A while back, my battery said "Service Battery" while running the VMWare, but it comes on only intermittently and only while running that program.

So, a few weeks ago my power adapter stopped working altogether. I replaced the power adapter, and things were fine for a few days. Now, nearly every time I unplug the computer, I have to "Reset the SMC" in order to get the computer to charge. What's the deal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you replace the original Mag Safe adapter with a genuine Apple Mag Safe adapter? Purchasing imitation or "compatible" adapters from eBay or other sources may lead to a malfunctioning charge - recharge system and can damage the battery. Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
First off, did you try resetting the SMC like it said?

Find out what kind of life is left to that battery.
Download Coconut battery
Reset the SMC
Open up Coconut battery and check the details.

It could be that the battery is just completely shot.

Good luck.

OP
C
Reaction score
Coconut battery says:
Current battery capacity : 79% of original
Battery load cycles : 215
Age of Mac : 32 months

Strange I suppose...perhaps a new battery can help? I figure it's out of warranty, so it will likely cost me more than a new battery just to say "hi" to the Apple tech support.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your battery is marginal and may hold a slight charge, but it looks like you do need to replace it. Like the MagSafe Adapter, it's best to buy a genuine Apple battery or an authorized replacement. You might want to try OWC for a replacement battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.