Perplexing power problem with MacBooks

Reaction score
I can't figure this one out. Let me try to lay it out clearly...

I have a MB Pro, my wife has a MacBook. We each, of course, have a MagSafe adapter.

With the older of the two MagSafe adapters, we can charge each notebook fine. No problem. But with the newer one, we can charge either notebook once, then when the battery runs down and we need to recharge, we have to power down the notebook, remove the battery, put it back in and then plug the adapter back in to charge the computer. Simply plugging it in does nothing.

Here's what's utterly confounding about this:

- This only happens with one Magsafe, not both.
- I've replaced both batteries to no avail.
- I've replaced the offending MagSafe adapter to no avail.
- I've tried different outlets, no dice.
- I've plugged in at different locations, same issue.

I'm totally stumped. Why should this happen with one adapter but not the other? The only thing I can remotely think of is that the newest line of MagSafe adapters has some incompatibility with the OS 10.6 power management software and that both notebooks need to have it updated.

HELP! I'm tearing my hair out over this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The MagSafe adapters are rated at different wattage as to what model is to be charged
so it may not like the higher wattage of the MBP.

OP
P
Reaction score
That may be, but the same MagSafe doesn't work with either my MBP or my wife's MacBook. Only when we shut down, remove the battery and reinstall the battery?

Could it be the wrong wattage for both? Is there another MagSafe that's not for either MBP or MacBook?

OP
P
Reaction score
I just checked the wattage on the cable my wife's been using on her MacBook and it's 85W. I know the MacBook takes a 60W cable. So that may answer one question. But here's the other: I just plugged the 85W cable into my MBP and it doesn't charge. Is there some safety built-in to prevent battery overload, which is why it charges after I remove the battery?

OP
P
Reaction score
Now I'm starting to wonder one more thing. My MBP is more than 2 years old. I wonder if the MBPs that old are supposed to work with 60W power supplies, not 85? That would explain why the 85W MagSafe doesn't charge my MBP either until I pop the battery out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would have the Apple store check the 85w MagSafe and did you save your receipt?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.