iMac G5 won-'t start - flashing question mark on screen.

Reaction score
Hi Mac users!

I need help with my iMac G5. I've had it for five years now, and it hasn't given me any trouble. However, I've just got back from a two week trip and it won't start-up.

When I switch it on, it goes to a screen with a folder in the middle of the screen. Inside the folder, it flashes between the 'Finder' symbol and a question mark. This is the only screen I can see, and I can't make it respond at all. I'm guessing that this'll involve the system CD in some way, but I doubt I'll be able to track that down!

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me! Thanks!:D

Reaction score
I would change the pram battery and see what happens and move on to the next test and yes you will need system disc.

Reaction score
pram battery

I have the same problem, what is a pram battery ? And how do I replace it??

I have a Mac mini ~ 2005. It was turned off for several years and I turned it on again recently as I thought I would give it to a friend who does not have any computer. It did work for about three days but when I turned it off today and turned it on again I got the flashing finder symbol and it is not working since. It also has a CD inside it . .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have the same problem, what is a pram battery ? And how do I replace it??

Need to know what computer model you have. Be specific!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.