Macbook Harddisk or Harddrive?

Reaction score
Hi - recently my MacBook died, i looked on this forum - symptoms were it won't boot, folder with a flashing question mark etc.. Looks like i need a new Hard Drive.

So i went on ebay and quickly purchased a SEAGATE Momentus 5400.3 - 80GB SATA 2.5" HARDDISK. Ok - high 5's all around - but after looking at the picture, it looks completely different - you can see the disk etc..

Will i have to remove the harddrive casing when i recieve this, and then put the Harddisk inside? Have i possibly bought the wrong thing?

I'm asking here because i will not be home to see what i've bought for another 3 weeks - and then i only have 1 week before i go touring again, with this MacBook.

btw the model number is A1181.

Any help will be kindly recieved.

Alex :p

C

chas_m

I don't know what picture you're looking at, so I can't be any help there.

The hard drive you *describe* as having bought should work fine in your MacBook, though why someone would buy an 80GB drive these days is quite beyond me ...

OP
A
Reaction score
picture

thanks - here's a pic.. it was 10 Euros for the harddrive - and i don't know yet if that was the problem.

hardrive.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The drive will not look like that when you get it. That is a manufacturers pic of the interior of the drive.

It will fit. You should head over to iFixit.com. They'll have a graphic tutorial of how to change out the drive. Especially if you've never before been in a notebook case, I advise printing it out, lay the screws out on the pages as you remove them. It's not too hard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.