Windows Media clips take forever to play

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Black), 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 512MB, 80GB, Superdrive
I wasn't sure where to post this, I hope this was right.

I have a Mac mini and I noticed right away after I switched that Windows media streaming video and/or audio clips take forever to play on my Mac. This is specifically for embedded clips on web sites (specific example, the video clips on TSN.ca's site). It will say "connecting to media" for the longest time before finally buffering and playing. If I try the same page on my windows machine they play right away so I can't see that it's anything w/ the firewall in my router. Is there any settings in OSX that I can modify? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
thats odd because i think that .wmv plays faster than a .mov file....MOST of the time.....
and what kind of service do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's probably your WMP streaming settings.

Open up windows media player, and hit Apple + , (to open preferences).

There maybe try changing your connection speed under 'connection'.
If that doesn't improve it, maybe change the buffering settings to 3-5 seconds of data buffering and see how that runs for you...

B

BrianH

I have been having this problem too... let me change it and see if it works. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
it must be the site..

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Black), 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 512MB, 80GB, Superdrive
I don't know, it seems to be that way on about every site I try. I usually have to go on to something else while I'm waiting for it to finally start to play...when I hear the clip start I go back to that window. I just hate finding the smallest reasons to actually turn my XP notebook on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.