• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Facetime on OS X and ipad V2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple to move aggressively on FaceTime, camera-equipped iPads
AppleInsider | Apple to move aggressively on FaceTime, camera-equipped iPads
Apple's iPad is unlikely to endure the company's traditional 12-month product cycle for iOS device refreshes before seeing its first major enhancements, AppleInsider has been told.

Apple rumored to be building FaceTime software for Mac, Windows
AppleInsider | Apple rumored to be building FaceTime software for Mac, Windows
Apple plans to extend FaceTime video chat beyond the latest iPhone and iPod touch, bringing compatibility with both Macs and PCs, according to a new rumor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Interfacing face time with iChat would be freaking awesome IMO. Then I might actually use it...

C

chas_m

Um, FaceTime has been in iChat from day one, they just didn't call it that. The only difference between iChat's video chatting and FaceTime is that it was formerly restricted to only AIM/MobileMe members.

PS. I really don't think Apple's going to bring out another iPad anytime soon. Maybe next April.

PPS. Two weeks ago everyone was dead-set CONVINCED that Apple was going to announce a 7" iPad. What happened to that, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Interfacing face time with iChat would be freaking awesome IMO. Then I might actually use it...

I agree if you mean phone to computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I agree if you mean phone to computer.

I do...

chas m said:
Um, FaceTime has been in iChat from day one, they just didn't call it that. The only difference between iChat's video chatting and FaceTime is that it was formerly restricted to only AIM/MobileMe members.

Ok, so please explain how I can log into iChat/AIM on my desktop and do a face-time session with my iPhone 4...

Reaction score
FaceTime has never been implemented before in any Apple product. Keep in mind that iChat is proprietary to Mac computers- and only offers the ability to use AOL or .Mac/Mobile Me accounts with it (along with Jabber and Google Talk I think). It is in no way open to communicate with Apple's current mobile devices. FaceTime may solve this problem, but it's a ways down the road- probably won't see implementation in Mac OS X until 10.7 (we can only hope) because it wouldn't make sense to suddenly update iChat in the middle of the OS X stable release cycle, when it normally sees updates per every new Mac OS X version release.

If anything, the next Apple product to see FaceTime is the iPad. The Mac will (likely) be the last thing to use FaceTime, or implement it into another program.

What I would love to see is the ability to use FaceTime on an Apple TV and have living room conversations with family members- and that would possibly push sales of the Apple TV- but it wouldn't be a good idea because it would cannabalize the Apple TV's real intent- media renting and streaming.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Meaning he's agreeing with it. I see this a lot on forums devoted to things like cars, motorcycles, guitars etc.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Yet another form of web parlance that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever ;)

Reaction score
Sweet slam, brah. You like browsing those forums, eh? This is the only forum I waste my time in......

For car forums, I frequent a forum on stick shift equipped cars.
For guitars, I focus on Fender/Squire

As for motorcycles, I lost interest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.