My MacBook Pro won't connect to my wireless printer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.
I have a brand-newish (July) MacBook Pro, and it absolutely refuses to connect to my Canon MP560 wireless printer. (there is NO USB cord.) However, my Vista laptop prints to it just fine.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software numerous times...
what seems to be the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you have installed the latest Canon drivers and software. Canon wireless printers (the all in one models) come with quite a bit of software for OS X. You need to install all of it. Try to follow the step by step for setting up wireless from the quick start manual that's included. Also, you need to attach it to your Mac by USB cable first before you can get the wireless working. If you don't have a spare USB cable, you'll need to buy one. I'm assuming your new MBP is working OK wireless?

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you have installed the latest Canon drivers and software. Canon wireless printers (the all in one models) come with quite a bit of software for OS X. You need to install all of it. Try to follow the step by step for setting up wireless from the quick start manual that's included. Also, you need to attach it to your Mac by USB cable first before you can get the wireless working. If you don't have a spare USB cable, you'll need to buy one. I'm assuming your new MBP is working OK wireless?

The MBP works perfectly wireless... i've installed ALL the drivers... and the printer did not come with a USB? I never had to plug the Vista laptop in via a cord. What's up with that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Canon instructions state that their wireless printers be attached first by USB before setting them up for wireless use in OS X. I didn't have to use my USB cable when I installed Windows 7. It just "saw" the Canon and installed it. What can I say? Windows just deals with wireless better than OS X. Try using the USB cable first.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It didn't come with one though... know where I could pick one up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
USB cables are sold in most stores which sell computers and related accessories. Best Buy, Radio Shack, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Post back and let us know if you can get it working or not.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got the USB, plugged it in, printed fine. Still can't print wirelessly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Now that you have it hooked via USB, follow the Canon instructions to get it working wireless. You will need to make sure you have the wireless networking software installed (Canon) and the drivers.

Easiest way may be to download everything from Canon, install all the software and drivers, and then follow their directions to get it working wireless. Basically, their instructions will tell you that the printer will "search" for your wireless network, obtain an IP address and then test the connection. Of course if your wireless is using encryption, you will have to supply the password.

Download all software and drivers for the Pixma MP560 from this LINK.

The whole procedure to get it going wireless in OS X is more complicated than Windows, so don't give up.

Reaction score
Connecting to Wireless Printer

We just got our first Mac... a Macbook Pro. It found our wireless printer (Canon MX 860 All-in One) and hooked up fine completely without connecting with a cable... except not all the functions work, like duplex printing. I contacted Canon and never received an answer...

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We just got our first Mac... a Macbook Pro. It found our wireless printer (Canon MX 860 All-in One) and hooked up fine completely without connecting with a cable... except not all the functions work, like duplex printing. I contacted Canon and never received an answer...

How'd you manage that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.