Just two networking issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 3.06 GHz intel core i3 4 GB Ram
No problem from the git go for my new i3 Imac to see my wife's XP laptop over the home wireless network. To get the XP machine to see the iMac? Well after lots of googling I got the XP to see the documents folder on the imac and everyone is happy.

Two issues, however which I feel may be OS X related so I will ask them here.

First, all files that I am sharing on the imac are listed as "read only" on the XP even though I have gone in Sys Pref > Sharing>File Sharing and adjusted all users to "read & write" mode. All googles tell me to do the same thing I have already done.

Lastly, File sharing is telling me that DVD/CD sharing is blocked by the fire wall. However, in Security in firewall settings it says that the firewall is allowing incoming connections to the DVD/CD drive.

I've only had this mac for a week or so and I am totally stumped. I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't see it. Any help to this newbie would be much appreciated.

Thanx, M1

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are the usernames and passwords the same on both machines? I am not sure whether that is the issue or not but for troubleshooting purposes it would eliminate a potential obstacle,

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 3.06 GHz intel core i3 4 GB Ram
Yes they are. Thanx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.