blown logic board & no hard drive

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to this site. Needless to say, I bought an item on ebay, and I am blaming this on exhaustion, and I bidded on the computer above the one I actually wanted. So now I went from havine zero Mac's to now having two.

Here is the item number:

It says it has a blown logic board and no hard drive. I really don't know where to start with what I need exactly. Can anyone offer me up some of their expert advice?

Thanks in advance!

aMFd

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow...to be really honest & I hate to say it...but you REALLY messed up!!!:(

You paid $202.50 + $25 shipping for a computer that if it was working 100% is worth a little over $300.

This computer has a blown logic board, no hard drive, and you didn't mention it...but I'm assuming no keyboard & mouse.

You'll find that a replacement logic board for an iMac G5 2.1ghz will cost you anywhere from $250 for a used one to $400-$1000 for a new logic board (depending where you buy it from). But a new one will more realistically cost from $400-$500.

Add to this the cost of a hard drive, keyboard, and mouse!

So putting it all together...to get this computer working once again it will cost:

- $227.50 Original e-Bay cost + shipping
- $250 for a used logic board
- $40 for a new hard drive
- $30 for a keyboard & mouse
- plus any shipping costs if you buy items over the internet
- plus you probably need a ram upgrade since it only has 512meg of ram

Total...$547.50 - $600 (with ram upgrade)

As you can see it's really not worth it for a computer that's worth about $330. Given the high costs of replacement logic boards...this was really NOT a good computer to try to get working again...unless you already had a logic board from another broken iMac G5.

This is a really nice computer if it was working (top of the iMac G5 line)...fastest processor & biggest display!!!:)

But IMHO...this computer is only good for parts...because the cost of a replacement logic board is just too high!

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Nick-

tell me about it.. im kind of kicking my own *** right now.. so, and im sure ill sound like an idiot, but computers isnt really my thing, if the logic board is blown is there no way to repair it or do i have to get a new/used one..? Do you know what kind i need exactly..?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick-

tell me about it.. im kind of kicking my own *** right now.. so, and im sure ill sound like an idiot, but computers isnt really my thing, if the logic board is blown is there no way to repair it or do i have to get a new/used one..? Do you know what kind i need exactly..?

Repairing a logic board is pretty serious business. You have to have some way of testing everything on the logic board to see exactly what has gone bad. You also need to know the specs on every component on the logic board to know what voltage or resistance each item is supposed to have.

Believe me...this is something that many many experienced people couldn't fix...and this is WELL beyond any sort of repair job for a self-described "computers isn't my thing" sort of person! Also...it would probably be cheaper to buy a used logic board than to have someone try & repair it. There would just be wayyyyy tooooo many hours & hours of troubleshooting.

Honestly...your two best options for this computer are:

- put it back for sale on e-Bay...and hopefully someone will buy it for parts
- go back to your e-Bay auction, and contact the high bidders who came in 2nd or 3rd place...and see if they are still interested in it.

Bottom line...get it sold for as much as possible...and if you can't recover all your money...consider the loss a lesson well learnt!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with Nick get what you can for it advertising as for parts only. Whenever you purchase a machine in that condition you can rest assured its days are over BIG TIME!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.