Cloned my old Hard Drive and transferred to my new iMac = some applications wont open

Reaction score
My logic Pro, Pro Tools, FCp, Motion, etc. will all not open when I transferred them to my new iMac i3.

I created a partition on my new iMac for 200gb and cloned my old MBP with an external HD. I tried to open it from the connected external HD and it wouldn't let me. I tried transferring the files from the external hard drive to the partitioned HD on the imac and it said this operation could not be done........

Also I tried booting from the external cloned HD and can not do any functions with my iMac as the keyboard and mouse are bluetooth and it does nothing when I type........

What am I doing wrong? I have been trying to figure this out for the past couple of days and it's driving me crazy

PLEASE HELP

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The installation from your old Mac is not likle to have all the drivers required by the new one.

You should be using Migration Assistant to import to the new drive. Some applications may still need to be reinstalled to function properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.