So many problems......

Reaction score
Ok, so, after I posted about two weeks ago with my MBP failing to switch on, I took it to my local Apple store and had the logic board replaced and a new charger (thankfully it was still under Warranty) (Still only 11 months old).
However, now about a week after having it back the screen started flicking off to a completely black screen, Safari seems to be the only responsive application; Finder is intermittent, other apps such as iWorks won't even load up. I can only type onto text boxes within Safari. The Apple icon in the toolbar at the top does not work when I want to switch the MBP off, and when I push the on/off button and select 'shut down' this does not work, so I'm having it to hold the button down.

I have just renewed my Warranty, and expect to send it back to Apple.

However, just wondering if these sorts of problems can be fixed? Will I ever get it back to how it was pre-problems (Apple said that it will be repaired to this state, but after having already had it repaired once I'm a little skeptical).

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Sound's like a bit of a pain, but take it to Apple until they get it resolved.
Worst comes to worse, is if they are unable to get it back to as new condition, they will eventually replace it with a new MBP :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, just wondering if these sorts of problems can be fixed? Will I ever get it back to how it was pre-problems (Apple said that it will be repaired to this state, but after having already had it repaired once I'm a little skeptical).

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

Of course the problems can be fixed! You got the warranty...so just keep taking it back to Apple until it works properly.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Was the OS reinstalled / clean installed following the hardware repair?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
All I have to say is to stick with it. It's unfortunate that you're experiencing these issues, but don't let it discourage you from using Apple products. Apple's customer support has been very good to me and is the best I've dealt with in regards to technology. I hope you get this all worked out because it does sound very annoying. Good luck!

OP
F
Reaction score
One week after having it collected repair and it's back.
Needless to say, the problems have not been rectified!
I was told that the logic board (that was first replaced) was faulty!
Has anyone else had such problems with poor quality of repairing products. I can't understand how after being told it has been repaired, I am still experiencing the same problems. I think I'll just get a cheaper non-Apple comp in future.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One week after having it collected repair and it's back.
Needless to say, the problems have not been rectified!
I was told that the logic board (that was first replaced) was faulty!
Has anyone else had such problems with poor quality of repairing products. I can't understand how after being told it has been repaired, I am still experiencing the same problems. I think I'll just get a cheaper non-Apple comp in future.

Was the OS reinstalled following the repair?

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest - would the company repairing it not have done this? When I spoke to Apple support before having it collected, they did suggest reinstalling OS! Might they be mistaking the two?

OP
F
Reaction score
So, I turned on my MBP again this morning, and everything seems to be working fine...
Is this something that usually happens? Or should I expect to have intermittent problems unless I reinstall OS?
How do I reinstall it btw - do I have to remove the current one? (having never reinstalled an operating system before).

OP
F
Reaction score
So, that post was a little premature - problems are still being had - applications along the dock are not responding; any applications that are open are not responding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Totally Sucks… Take it back to apple… again… Talk to a manager, explain that it's been in for repair TWICE, and still no good.. Hopefully they will replace it for a new MBP.

When does your Apple Care Expire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm with RIDE on this.... even the little things can get to you, or at least to me!
I have a new i5 MBP.
1st one was D.O.A.
2nd one had battery and keyboard backlight issues.
3rd one I have the remote unpairing itself randomly, and I have already had it back at Apple to change the IR parts.
Back in tomorrow to get the logic board swapped out.
These things happen......... first time in my days of having Macs that I have had a bad run, but unlike any other major company, I know there will be a happy ending as long as I keep a cool calm collected head on my shoulders, along with my beautiful smile :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure to be honest - would the company repairing it not have done this? When I spoke to Apple support before having it collected, they did suggest reinstalling OS! Might they be mistaking the two?

If the hard drive didn't need to be changed out, then no - it probably has the same OS install as it did when it first shipped to you. In light of the problems you've had, my first inclination would be to backup your data, wipe the hard drive and then do a clean install.

This will be somewhat painful if you have a lot of docs/music/video and Apps installed on the system. But my gut tells me that you will continue to have problems until you do.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all - I'm gonna get in touch with Apple and get them to 'repair' it again - or continue to highlight the ongoing issues and if worst happens - get them to replace it.
I'm not comfortable enough wiping data/reinstalling so will leave that for now.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok, sorry to post again on this, but I've just been using my MBP again today and now each application seems to be working fine. I've not taken it back for repairs, nor have I reinstalled / deleted / edited anything - does anyone know if this sort of thing is at all normal / expected?
Or whether it would be safest to get Apple to give it another service just to be safe?
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It doesn't sound normal at all. I would also recommend erasing the hard drive and reinstalling OS X. It's really not that hard, it just might take a few hours to get everything transferred over from a back up. That would definitely be the first thing I'd recommend if you just got it and there's not much on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.