My OSX runs a bit slow recently...

Reaction score
V 10.5.8

I'm on an iMac and recently I've found it can run a bit slow or respond a bit slower to certain things

Is there a tool I could use to clean it up? I don't know why - it's really random but I've noticed it a bit more and more int he past few months

Any tips for cleaning something?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
How much free space do you have on the drive? I personally recommend 15-20% minimum, although it becomes quite unbearable for me at 30% free space.

Also, download and run Onyx whenever your system begins showing signs of slowing down. Make sure you get the correct version for your version of OSX.

I'd recommend heading for the Automation tab, check everything in the Maintenance and Cleaning sections until you become familiar with some of the other things Onyx will do. I only find a need to run Onyx about once evry 2-3 months.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Bob - I didn't know about Onyx before - I'm downloading it now and will give it a quick run and see if it helps :)

Reaction score
I also have similar problems with my Mid 2010 MBP, and do run Onyx sometimes, but it doesn't seem to have much improved performance - as I usually use a standard account, and the Onyx only allows it to be run on a Admin acoount - thus I log out of my standard account and into the admin account. Here's the question, does running Onyx on a Admin account would clean up and speed up the standard account as well?
Many Thanks!

Reaction score
Try 10.6, that cleans up a lot of stuff. I use Cocktail or Macjanitor and it seems to help with overall speed of my system.

Reaction score
Tried using Macjanitor as well, but it seems as if there is not much change. I have ran all the scripts.
There is at least 15% of my hard disk free.
What else should I do?
Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.