• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft holds funeral for death of iPhone and BlackBerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
LOL, what some companies will do for publicity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Idiocy, thy name is Ballmer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Uuuch... really ? And you guys KNOW I'm no iPhone flunky, to say the least but that, is just ugly in every way possible. Hey, maybe WP7 will be great, who knows? But to make such a public display and possibly set themselves up for a large disappointment is just plain stupid. But yeah, that totally IS Ballmer, ain't it ?

What ****** me off even more though, perhaps... is all the totally inane comments left by some of the delusional Windows crowd. Such as:
@arasheps

SOO agree. If you wan't to go on facts, WP7 is perfect, in my opinion (cept for those few features they left out but will add later). Then, if you want to go on experience...then your gonna have to wait for Oct. no doubt.

Um, FACTS ? Whom ever this "Water911" character is (user who left the remark) really makes me want to punch him square in the nose. I know that's violent, and I'm sorry but... he has ZERO facts ! The phone is nowhere near release time and he already has FACTS about how perfect the phone is ? How does that work exactly ? But wait... I nearly missed saying how he readily contradicted himself in the same sentence by saying: "facts, in my opinion" OMG I HATE WATER911!

/teenage rant.

Doug

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I've haven't even heard of this until now. >_>" I did a quick google on it and I actually kind of like their simple icon, grid, typographic, vertical tile thing they got going on. It looks very simple and clean, and seems pretty easy to navigate and extract information quickly.

From what I've seen it seems pretty cool. Even if it's Windows I'm going to give them a chance. As for the publicity stunt...well that's just what it is, a publicity stunt and nothing more. If they want to brag and shoot themselves in the foot then let them.

... I nearly missed saying how he readily contradicted himself in the same sentence by saying: "facts, in my opinion" OMG I HATE WATER911!

/teenage rant.

Doug

I know you are exaggerating, but you need to love that someone to actually hate them. Just my lease on life. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM H/D, nVidia 9400M + 9600M 512 MB, 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM
Hahahah this is so great. But at the same time, terrible.. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just goes to show that Apple is definitely doing something right to be picked on so much.

Reaction score
I've haven't even heard of this until now. >_>" I did a quick google on it and I actually kind of like their simple icon, grid, typographic, vertical tile thing they got going on. It looks very simple and clean, and seems pretty easy to navigate and extract information quickly.

From what I've seen it seems pretty cool. Even if it's Windows I'm going to give them a chance.

I might give them a chance as well. Based on the Wikipedia article, it sounds a bit interesting. We'll see if Microsoft can really deliver this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I hope it does exceptionally well. More motivation for iOS and Android to step up the game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One wonders if the Reverend Steve delivered the Last Rites?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is this seriously for real? I have such a hard time believing it because of how idiotic it seems! Microsoft has stooped to an even newer low. Anyway, since when was anything related to funerals a joke? I think that alone is as shocking, and just shows how dumb of a CEO, Steve "The Idiot" Ballmer, really is for letting it happen! I would be embarrased if I had anything to do with that or msft!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think the main issue here is not the WP7 or the iphone or the Blackberry. It's ideology. Apple don't ever expect their products to do amazingly well. They just say as long as we get a few sales and kinda break even maybe we'll do fine. Sure they lowball their estimates all the time but it's good I think. Then any success their products do have is just an awesome bonus.

MS on the other hand expect all their products to be amazing competition crushing devices. It's like anything less then putting the competitors products out of business and off the shelves is a failure to them. Which is silly. Cause you're setting yourself up for failure. MS is just being very cocky with this new publicity stunt. Sure if you're the best in the game then you can brag a little cause you can say "well hey I am the best".

But now it's MS (who is one of the worse so far in the phone game) saying hey so what I came last in every phone race I entered. This time I will win. If MS was a horse and it had a last place from ever one of it's starts, you'd never bet on it apart from $2 as a joke bet. Mind you you'd expect to lose the $2. Sure the WP7 might actually be a decent effort. But after things like the Kin etc it's going to be a very hard sell to the public to prove to them that this could be their first decent phone ever.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple don't ever expect their products to do amazingly well. They just say as long as we get a few sales and kinda break even maybe we'll do fine. Sure they lowball their estimates all the time but it's good I think. Then any success their products do have is just an awesome bonus.
I disagree with that. Apple, if it were a student, would be that kid in class who had a bigger ego than every other student. Apple has proven that it will consistently label it's products "the best <insert product here> in the world." They continually remind everyone of the success of their products and repeatedly have huge expectations about how it will revolutionize the market. And they by no means take the "break even equals fine" approach to business - no for-profit company does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I disagree with that. Apple, if it were a student, would be that kid in class who had a bigger ego than every other student. Apple has proven that it will consistently label it's products "the best <insert product here> in the world." They continually remind everyone of the success of their products and repeatedly have huge expectations about how it will revolutionize the market. And they by no means take the "break even equals fine" approach to business - no for-profit company does.

You are correct in what you said. But you missed the point I was trying to make. I'll explain myself a little better.

When the iphone was released Apple said they wanted 1% of phone sales. That was their aim. Sure all companies want to make a profit and all companies want you to believe their product is the best. Apple is no different. But Apple did not go out and say "the iphone will kill every other competitor in the smartphone market". They just said they hoped for a 1% share of the market.

And hoping to revolutionise the market with their products though a little egotistical as you said is a very good thing. At least then they won't pump out any old garbage just for profit. They want to at least try to make the products better too. And that's a win-win. better products for us and more profits for Apple.

MS just pump out the old garbage and expect us to buy it. So MS win by more profits (if they get the sales) but we consumers lose by having products with very little innovation at all.

Having a little ego is not bad actually. It's how you use the ego that matters. Apple are doing something good with it. And yes in keynote speeches (but rarely outside of them) Apple to say their products are the best. But for the most part they actually are the best out there. So sure that's ego but it's not a lie either.

I'm sure MS would continually remind people too of the success of their past products. But saying "well people that product sold 200 thousand less then we hoped or that product had a less than satisfactory customer rating" does not look good. You only brag about the good things for the company in the past. And when you have very few recent good things to brag about like MS does, well then you don't brag. But don't confuse this for not wanting to brag. They would too if they had something to brag about.

Steve "The Idiot" Ballmer
Well if he was an idiot then he'd be better then he currently is now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
They continually remind everyone of the success of their products and repeatedly have huge expectations about how it will revolutionize the market.

Everyone does that when they have press meets...especially when the majority of the audience/viewing audience holds stock in your company, or is interested in holding them!

Reaction score
Is this seriously for real? I have such a hard time believing it because of how idiotic it seems! Microsoft has stooped to an even newer low. Anyway, since when was anything related to funerals a joke? I think that alone is as shocking, and just shows how dumb of a CEO, Steve "The Idiot" Ballmer, really is for letting it happen! I would be embarrased if I had anything to do with that or msft!

Yeah, but they seem to do that a lot in California. I seem to recall they held a funeral for that electric car when they stopped manufacturing it.

I also agree that it's a little bit tasteless. A guy who we knew just died suddenly yesterday, and while I didn't know him well enough to really be effected, this stunt did sting a little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
seems somewhat accurate, considering that its finally a good smart phone with a keyboard....

oh, and california is like this, I love all the things they get going there.. like the spoof of the "god hates x" rally, they had some pretty funny stuff, Like the guy dressed up as spock holding a "god hates starwars" sign, funny stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
In California, god hates illegal pot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.