Graphical problem with iMac G5

Reaction score
Hi
Earlier today, the display on my iMac G5 suddenly got this checkered pink and white pattern covering the entire screen. I've restarted it but it didn't help. I've also tried changing the resolution and number of colours to no avail. The only notable thing that has changed with it recently is that I bought a magic mouse and installed the wireless mouse update 1.0 for leopard the same day.

It's an old iMac G5 PPC with Leopard 10.5.8.
Here are some pictures,

I've done some googling and found that it may be a gpu problem...

Thanks in advance for any help... just hope that it doesn't need replacement.

OP
C
Reaction score
I installed iTunes 10 when it came out but I've already tried changing the display settings between the number of colours and it made no difference. I'll try again later though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You could try booting from an OS install CD/DVD...or worst case scenario reinstall the OS. Either way you can see if the red/pink color remains. If so...it could be a hardware issue.

BTW...let us know what the processor speed is of your iMac G5. If it's a 1.8ghz model...it may have a swollen/leaking capacitor issue.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
It's a 2ghz model.
I'll try booting from a 10.5 Lepard disc. Can I just verify that I do it by putting the disc in and then turning it on while holding down c... Will doing it erase on the hard drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try booting from a 10.5 Lepard disc. Can I just verify that I do it by putting the disc in and then turning it on while holding down c... Will doing it erase on the hard drive?

You got the procedure correct. No it won't erase anything...as long as you don't actually proceed with the install. You're booting from the CD/DVD just to see if the "pink" video problem disappears.

Better yet. If you have the 2 "gray" disks that came with your computer when it was brand new. If you boot from disk #2...this disk has a hardware test program on it. You could run it, and see if it finds any problems.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I just booted it off of the Leopard disc and the display was still screwed up. I've lost all of the original discs that came with it so unfortunately I can't run the hardware test.
It still seems to work fine but it could just be a matter of time until it completely dies. Would it be worth taking it to an Apple store and seeing what they say?
Thanks for all the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it be worth taking it to an Apple store and seeing what they say?
Thanks for all the help!

Well...probably not.:(

This computer is like 5-6 years old...and is only worth a couple hundred bucks. The problem is more than likely something to do with the video hardware...which would require a new logic board...which would most likely cost more than the Mac is worth.

If you can get Apple to look at it for free...then do it. But if they're going to charge $50-$60 or more to troubleshoot it...you may end up paying that & have them tell you the same thing I mentioned above (new logic board).

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. When you booted from the Leopard disk...that pretty much eliminated software/ the OS as being a problem...that's why it's more likely a hardware issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.