OS X 10.2.8 to Panther

Reaction score
I'm a Windows man trying to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Mac world. I'm trying to upgrade my daughter's PowerMac G4 (2 x 876MHz) mirror door box.

It's currently got OS X 10.2.8 on and I have two 'Full instal Panther PowerMac G4' CDs. If I insert '1 of 2' I get "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read ... "

The seller included a couple of 'eMac Instal and Restore 10.3' CDs. Am I supposed to boot up from these (I'm aware that some operating software is box specific) and then instal Panther?

Or should I go out into the English rain and have a large scotch?

Many thanks guys

Mart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm. That sounds like you have a possible problem with your current install.
I would suggest that you try running disk utility, and verify the disc and permissions to see if ti throws up any errors.
It could also be the cd/dvd drive itself. Does it read other discs (CD's for example) ok?

Also, have a read of this article, which refers back to an old OSX issue, but may help.

Mac OS X 10.0: Removable disks don't appear (mount) on desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums and to the world of Mac!

Your CD player is operating, or you wouldn't get the "you have inserted ...... " message.

1. Can you check what's on those Panther CDs at another Mac? Insert the disk, cancel the install process, and then use Finder from desktop to read the disk's contents.
2. The disks should be a black colour, and Disk 1 should have the serial number 2Z691-4585-A [the Z is the international version classification]. If you should have the Panther update disk, you cannot install the OS from it. Its s/n has the digits 4633 in the middle.

No, you can't use the eMac install disks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.