Bootcamp and XP SP2

Reaction score
So I've been struggling to get bootcamp up and running and I realized my windows disk is old enough to be SP1. Windows is installed and will boot, but won't do anything else. BT Mouse won't work keyboard will. My question is if I burn the SP2 update to a cd (or does it need DVD) can I install it that way when windows boots up?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
If you already have Windows XP SP1 installed, you can just install the update.

Download Windows XP Service Pack 2: XP SP2 (Full package)

Then when everything is up and running, download and install SP3.

I am not sure if burning it to a CD is legal, because it's supposed to be done from Windows Update itself. So I'll let the moderator decide that.

OP
J
Reaction score
That's what I tried but being service pack 1 nothing works including internet. I'm not sure how running to a disk would be illegal no different then a big box computer with no internet connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Well then, go ahead and burn the update to a CD and install it on Windows XP. Then install the Boot Camp drivers from your Mac OS X install disc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's what I tried but being service pack 1 nothing works including internet. I'm not sure how running to a disk would be illegal no different then a big box computer with no internet connection?

You will need to uninstall the Win XP SP1 installation before you can do anything else. Boot back to OS X, open the Boot Camp Assistant, select create partition, select restore, wait for it to finish, and reboot the machine. Everything should be back to normal. Next...

Download XP SP3 from the MS site (you do not need SP2 as MS updates are all inclusive) and "slipstream" the update to your SP1 copy of Windows. You can slipstream using the free "autostreamer" program. Note: You will need a Windows machine to do the slipstreaming. Read the autostreamer instructions carefully and follow the steps.

After you get your Windows SP1 updated to SP3, burn it to a new CD and make sure the CD is bootable. Test it. Also, it's important to understand that you can not use an upgrade version - it has to be a full install version of XP.

OP
J
Reaction score
You will need to uninstall the Win XP SP1 installation before you can do anything else. Boot back to OS X, open the Boot Camp Assistant, select create partition, select restore, wait for it to finish, and reboot the machine. Everything should be back to normal. Next...

Download XP SP3 from the MS site (you do not need SP2 as MS updates are all inclusive) and "slipstream" the update to your SP1 copy of Windows. You can slipstream using the free "autostreamer" program. Note: You will need a Windows machine to do the slipstreaming. Read the autostreamer instructions carefully and follow the steps.

After you get your Windows SP1 updated to SP3, burn it to a new CD and make sure the CD is bootable. Test it. Also, it's important to understand that you can not use an upgrade version - it has to be a full install version of XP.

Do I have to do it this way? I burned SP2 to a disk (prior to reading the SP3 suggestion) and everything looked like it was going to work great, then I got a error about not enough space, so I checked the disk space and the 32 gigs was open, only thing on there was XP so 3-4 gigs used. How do I get around that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your way will not work, trust me. That's why I gave you the proper procedure to follow in my reply. The Apple instructions are quite explicit about using SP1 and then trying to upgrade it to SP2.

If all the above is too much for you to do, just go to NewEgg and buy an OEM system builder's version of XP Home SP3 full install and use it instead. Of course that will set you back around $100 or more.

The other alternative instead of using Boot Camp, is to download the free VirtualBox VM software from Sun Microsystems and use it to install your Win XP SP1 as a virtual machine. Note, however, if you wish to play games, using a VM install of Windows will probably not be satisfactory and may not work at all for some games.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you, didn't mean to come off ad questioning just wanted to see if there was a simple way!

Your way will not work, trust me. That's why I gave you the proper procedure to follow in my reply. The Apple instructions are quite explicit about using SP1 and then trying to upgrade it to SP2.

If all the above is too much for you to do, just go to NewEgg and buy an OEM system builder's version of XP Home SP3 full install and use it instead. Of course that will set you back around $100 or more.

The other alternative instead of using Boot Camp, is to download the free VirtualBox VM software from Sun Microsystems and use it to install your Win XP SP1 as a virtual machine. Note, however, if you wish to play games, using a VM install of Windows will probably not be satisfactory and may not work at all for some games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.