OSX Snow Leopard DNS questions

Reaction score
Hi All

I am new to OSX Server but have network and windows server experience but decided to move to OSX Server.

I have bought myself a mac mini server with snow leopard server. I dont have BB yet since I have just mvoed but thought I'd set up my new server just on my local subnet (192.168.0.x) so I can create a Open Directory Master to authenticate my MacBook Air (when it arrives) and run a small network\domain for my business.

I am still in the process of buying my domain name and when I get my broadband set up again I'll set up the DNS for the WWW but for now I am ust trying to set up DNS on my local network so I can connect to my server via its FQDN and not its IP.

Anyway I seem to be having trouble with setting up the DNS part of this whole operation. When I tried to set up an Open Directory Master I got an error sayig it couldnt create it and I need to check the logs, I checked the log and it errored out on not being able to start the SLDAP process which seems to suggest something is wrong with my DNS set up.

I enabled DNS during my server build to run on my server, so my Zones look like

Primary Zone LookUp
ServerName ServerName.Domain.Com

I also have a reverse zone set up.

Now I cant seem to resolve my servers FQDN of ServerName.Domain.Com, only its Server.Local and IP work.

Any suggestions or pointers here will be really helpfull.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 16GB, Sonoma 14.2.1
I'm not impressed with SL Server set up wizard with respect to DNS. It doesn't seem logical to me to the extent that I've had to reload the s/w 5 times on a Mac MiniServer!

For instance: (in Server Admin/DNS/Zones) the wizard, to my simple mind, incorrectly sets up a reverse zone for the server as 230.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. When I want to add others machines i.e. A records, to the list Server Admin correctly creates the A record and creates the reverse zone 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. which should have been created for the server. as that is part of the network 192.168.0.0/24

So I can't offer any suggestions but you have my sympathy!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.