Macbook White update Question

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an idea, please comment if its a good idea or not.

I have a Macbook white 13' with the following configuration purchased on 27th May, 2008:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier:MacBook4,1
Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors:1
Total Number Of Cores:2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed:800 MHz
Boot ROM Version:MB41.00C1.B00

Apple has recently launched the Snow Leopard OS and what I plan to do is upgrade my existing Leopard 10.5.8, add in an extra 1GB RAM and buy a new battery. The reason for doing this:

1) The new white macbook does not have a firewire port, Infrared port(I have an apple remote and use it quite often)
2) The macbook pro 13' is quite expensive.
3) The new macbooks have a mini display port, whereas I already have a display port attached to my HDTV. I would again have to purchase a new set of mini display port.

Even if I consider buying the new Macbook white, it comes at a cost of $999, whereas if I stick to my plan it comes to about $300 without losing out on all the essential ports like IR, firewire.

Now my question is
1) Will the hardware support the new Snow Leopard software ?
2) Will the 1GB RAM suffice or is the RAM upgrade necessary?

Thank You.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have the same model but faster processor. It runs Snow Leopard just fine. You need to keep in mind that there are only two slots for RAM. You can't just buy a 1GB stick and expect to get 2GB of RAM.

You need matching pairs. 1GB X 2 will for example. I have 2GB X2 which gives me 4GB of RAM.

You never said what you are doing with your MB, so it's a little difficult to tell you if the RAM needs an upgrade. Although I would opt to go with 2GB of RAM minimum.

OP
S
Reaction score
I will be using it mainly for my post graduation. So that means preparing a few presentations, working with excel, word and using the internet, etc. and listening to music and watching movies. No heavy graphics or hardcore gaming!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I will be using it mainly for my post graduation. So that means preparing a few presentations, working with excel, word and using the internet, etc. and listening to music and watching movies. No heavy graphics or hardcore gaming!

2GB should be plenty.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
2GB of RAM are probably sufficient for what you are using your machine for.

4GB - $95
2GB - $48
Battery - $99
Snow Leopard - $29

Total to upgrade with 2GB - $176

If you don't have an external drive with a backup of what could be valuable data with a lot of time invested in your documents, that's where you need to spend the next $100.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have a Western Digital External 500GB Hard disk with Time Machine and an up to date backup every once a week. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.