2009 Macbook getting too hot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHZ, 3GB RAM, 500GB HD, OSX/Win 7
I have had my 2009 macbook aluminum for about a year and a couple months. Since i can remember my mac gets really hot. Sometimes at idle exhaust fans will be at 2300rpm. while running regular programs such as firefox even while just on forums such as this one my computer is running at 146 degree CPU temp
exhaust fans at 2000rpm

any idea why this is?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You are obsessing over it. They are built to run hot, and if it actually was too hot it would shut it self off.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are obsessing over it. They are built to run hot, and if it actually was too hot it would shut it self off.

i was just watching a video on youtube doing nothing else and my fan was at 6100rpm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
Agree with the above, run any kind of flash and the mac will run hot.

If it is too big a problem you could always install SMC fan control which will allow you to regulate the fan speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" macbook, 4th gen ipod touch
Your mac will let you know when it is to hot. It will shut itself down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
What was the CPU temperature when the fan was at 6100RPM?

Flash definitely will cause the system to get hot, but at least we know your fans are working.

Only thing you should do is make sure you have the computer in a well ventilated area and that the rear exhaust vent is not covered. A flat service is best!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What was the CPU temperature when the fan was at 6100RPM?

Flash definitely will cause the system to get hot, but at least we know your fans are working.

Only thing you should do is make sure you have the computer in a well ventilated area and that the rear exhaust vent is not covered. A flat service is best!

I have left my mac idling for about an hour with the lcd dimmed/off and when i check the temp it is still around 2300RPM my average CPU temp is at around 140-150

Reaction score
Activity monitor

Try opening up the activity monitor and seeing what is running on your machine.

Sometimes I get a little quicktime app which is trying to render video for you and fails appallingly, it eats up processor time and cooks the machine.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.