Swinburne University supercomputer using Xserve RAID

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Swinburne University supercomputer using Xserve RAID
October 20, 2003 - 14:41 EDT The Swinburne University of Technology's Center for Astrophysics and Supercomputing in Australia has implemented Apple Xserve RAID storage systems for use with its 130-node Dell cluster. "We looked at upgrading the supercomputer but that would have been too expensive for what we needed," the center's director, Professor Matthew Bailes, told LinuxWorld. "Although we don't have much to do with Apple, after seeing its new Xserve RAID storage device we decided to evaluate it... The Xserve RAID is the cheapest system of its type and none of the other mainstream players have a comparable price. Also, at around 100Mbps read and write to disk, it is faster than our SCSI system which has an I/O of 50Mbps." The center purchased six Xserve RAID systems with a combined storage capacity of 13.2TB for "around AUD$100,000 including education and volume discounts."

My Comments: I really like the Xserve, although I have never used the RAID solution..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I've seen stuff like this, but it's called DASD. Really cool stuff. Fibre-channel storage systems. They smoke, and are so scalable, it's not even funny. This guy is talking 13.2TB, that is SMALL! compared to what I have seen. Really cool stuff. I'd love to have one setup in my house :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Emrys said:
I've seen stuff like this, but it's called DASD. Really cool stuff. Fibre-channel storage systems. They smoke, and are so scalable, it's not even funny. This guy is talking 13.2TB, that is SMALL! compared to what I have seen. Really cool stuff. I'd love to have one setup in my house :D

Emrys don't get caught with IBM terms, It still maybe a form of raid. DASD is an old term, used in the IBM main frame days. Some IBMers just does not want to let the term go. Any disk structure at IBM is known as DASD. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Any disk structure at IBM is known as DASD.

Thats funny :)

Well what I was refering to was fibre-channel storage arrays. Guess I will have to bust some chops when get back to work :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Any form of disks IBMers call it DASD. lol

C

CyCo_CyBorG

how the **** do you compress 30 Gb's of data into 3 Kb ?? !!
that's what the article on linuxworld.com.au said

(sorry for reviving an old topic)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.