Firewire types w/ Cinema Display ????

Reaction score
Hello all! I just received a 20" LCD Cinema display in the mail from eBay, but I find that I can't hook it up! It seems as though the firewire types are different and I'm not even sure what they are. I have a 2010 Macbook pro, which has a more square shaped 8-pin (i think) connector, while the monitor's looks more like the letter 'D". Can anyone please advise me on which ones I have? I guess I need to start looking for an adapter. Pfffsht. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You will need a DVI to ADC adapter: Google LINK

Look here for the best price and availability.

OP
H
Reaction score
I have the DVI adapter to the mini display port. Is that all I need? Should the monitor be turning on when I plug in just the DVI? Because it's not. When I plug in the DVI only nothing happens, and then when I plug in the USB the little white light starts flashing but no image on the screen. Does this mean it is broken or do I need to connect the firewire as well to make it work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, you need the adapter that I linked to. An ordinary DVI to DVI adapter will not work. Check the links that I posted and you'll see the difference.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey, I appreciate the help so far, but I dont have $100 to spend on yet another adapter. My original question was about the firewire types and what adapter I need for my macbook to use the original three cables it came with, dvi, usb, and firewire. If I locate the correct firewire adapter (I got a 400 to 800 on eBay, i hope its the right one) will my monitor work correctly without the adapter you mentioned?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it won't work without the special adapter. You purchased a proprietary monitor. The Apple Cinema display is a great monitor but it takes a special adapter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.