Upgrading to os x from 9.2.2 on old beast

Reaction score
Hi,

My neighbor gave me a old Imac. It currently has 9.2.2 installed on it and I want to go with a fresh install of os x. I have my os x disc's from my mac book but they're dvd discs and I think this computer only has a cd drive. So I acquired a version of os x and burnt it to "CD" discs.

I've tried hold c to boot to disc but I just get a blue globe flashing, eventually it turned into the finder icon blinking with a question mark on a folder. I'm looking for any advice on how I could get this working and get my os x installed.

The Imac meets the minimum requirements for os x.

Sidenote: I'm suposta just burn the .dmg file to a disc right? or did I mess that up :S

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You need to purchase your own OSX disc. The methods you are using will not work. There's a reason for that, but I'll skip that part.

What are the specs on the iMac? (processor, RAM, etc.)

There are now 6 different versions of OSX. You'll want to buy one that will work.

Reaction score
And be aware you will need to update the firmware whilst running OS 9 prior to installing OS X of any flavour.

Apple - Support - iMac G3 (CRT)

Right on harryb2448....If you nuke or replace the HD you lose the firmware that lets you run 10. You could make the machine really worthless as you would start over from 9.2.2 and that requires retail Mac installer disc. People with theses machines should leave the HD alone and use a USB external for more drive space if you find one with 10 on it. 10.3 may be the max OS you can install..what Flavor iMac is it. The boot rom has to be 4.1.9 to run OS 10. In the system profiler it will show $0004.1.9fi If not you must install the firmware update before 10.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.