Pop Quiz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Q. A while ago, I was invited to update my iPhone3G to iOS4.

A. This turned my working iPhone into a snail.

Q. A couple of nights ago, I was invited to update my iPhone3G to iOS4.1.

A. This turned my iPhone3G into a paperweight.

Q. Today I am invited to update Safari on my iMac?

A. ????? :\

Bonus Question - In a couple of months we will be invited to update £599 worth of iPad with iOS4.2 I think.

Bonus Answer - It will be a while before I trust Apple again with another update. Maybe Steve Jobs would like to call me on my iPhone to discuss?

Oh right, the iPhone is now a paperweight. Sorry Steve. :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like you have had a series of unfortunate circumstances.:(

I'm guessing (and what I'm really saying is I'm VERY sure)...many other folks have been able to update their iPhones to iOS 4.0, iOS 4.1...and have been able to update Safari on their Mac's...all with success.

When three unfortunate circumstances all happen to the same person...it's possible something other than Apple/Steve Jobs is at fault:

- maybe something wrong with the hardware
- maybe software conflicts between installed apps. & the updates
- maybe a "user" induced issue
- maybe a combination

Sounds like most of the problems are related to the iPhone (2 iOS update issues)...maybe the iPhone is having a hardware problem.

Maybe you should do the Safari update on your Mac. Maybe it will go fine..and your confidence in Apple/Steve Jobs will be partially restored.:)

Also...I bet that you have done multiple updates in the past...and I bet many many of them went just fine. So let's not forget how well things went in the past/previously when giving out poor marks to Apple.:)

- Nick

p.s. I agree...Apple is not perfect! I could give you a list of complaints as long as my arm for various things I've experienced over my 25 years of Apple experience.;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Nighthawk4

The latest issue (Oct) of Mac Life magazine has a nice article about the disastrous implementation of IOS 4 on the 3G. Their recommendation in the article is to downgrade your 3G back to IOS 3.1.3. They also list the procedure and have links to download firmware. Check it out.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
That did bring a smile to my face :)

However, the problem is the iPhone sticks at the same point in the progress bar no matter which file I try to install.

Is there any way there could be a log file which remembers where it went wrong? It seems odd that it always hangs at the same point, even with different files. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.