• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Keynote to Quicktime to DVD help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Hi!
Trembling as I write this as the last time I tried to get some help I was reprimanded for posting to the wrong forum, so let's hope I got it right this time.

Back to ye olde story of "How do I save my Keynote Presentation to be viewed on a home DVD player?"

I know about saving the presentation as a Quicktime Movie, and have done so with moderate success although the colours in the Quicktime version are a little washed out. All of this is fine, and I can then burn the QT Movie to a DVD player to be played back on a computer, or on a TV via a VGA cable, but what happens if I would like to save this presentation and save it to a format which a home DVD will be able to read?

I imagine there has to be way to do it, and will probably involve some third party software and that too is fine. I just really need to find out how to do it.

Always tons of help on anything here that I have ever asked for, so hoping my luck (what's left of it...) has not run out.

Thanks so very very much.:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you can get it to a quicktime movie then most of the work is done.

You can use iDVD to create a standard DVD, or if you find iDVD a bit fiddly then the open source burn will let you create a DVD from a Quicktime movie

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
FANTASTIC! Thanks a bundle, I am going to try it out this evening.
Cheers and thanks again.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I tried the application that you suggested. No problem with converting the file. Again I was not sure which file extension to choose, but by trial and error figured I would just try them all. However... once the file was converted I practically did a tap dance on the burn button and there was no response whatsoever? I am running Snow Leopard so I don't know if there was a compatibility issue??? I am getting rather desperate, as I have the opportunity to do a "video" presentation for an upcoming wedding, and with times being what they are every opportunity to earn some income is important. I would hate to lose out on this. The Keynote presentation looks really pretty, background music and all, but without my being able to provide them with a readable DVD it will all be for nought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You should be able to open burn, select the video tab and just drag the movie onto the apps window. Dont go changing file extensions of the original file.

You should be prompted to convert the file to mpeg, once burn has done encoding the movie to DVD/MPEG then it should be ready to burn

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Well I went back and had a look at it again. This time when I changed from PAL which is apparently for Europe, to the other one... it did burn the file onto the DVD. I just got through with that but on the computer it is using the VLC player to view it. I am going to put it into my DVD/Blue Ray player now and see what happens. With Quicktime you get that bar at the bottom which is not terribly professional - I have searched and searched on the internet for file converters, checked You Tube until I am blue around the gills, so I am hoping and praying this works. Finger crossed and moving to the DVD player as we speak.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
OMG OMG OMG! PERFECTION!! I put it in the player and FANTABULOUS!!!! YOU ARE SUCH A GENIUS!! I cannot thank you enough. Now I have to work on the timing of my presentation etc., but this is literally like manna from Heaven!
I could go on forever and ever about the importance of this right now, but won't bore you with the details. I am beside myself with joy. May your life be filled with sunlight and lotto.
THANK YOU, GRACIAS, MERCI BEAUCOUP, SPASIBO, and just lil ole THANKS!

Reaction score
Loss of colour saturation

I have read through this thread with great interest. Whereas I have had no great trouble moving my slideshow with music from Keynote to Quicktime to iDVD to disc, I have been very disappointed with the loss of colour saturation in the move to Quicktime.
So far no-one seems to have had a suggestion on how to avoid or at least minimise this.
Any takers?

Tony

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Yes - that was another problem Tony. Like you saving in the formats you describe is not difficult, but the Quicktime movies are so large that unless you use an application such as YouSendit, they are too big to email to a client or contact. In describing a problem that I was having with my Epson printer, the Epson technician said that the problem (not being able to print non-sequential pages) was with the application (true) and that iWork was just a really bad attempt on Apple's part to make a comparative set of applications to MS Office. I did not agree with him as I love iWork and never use anything other than Pages for my personal letters and documents.

I still feel though, and going full circle, that Apple could have, should have put out a Keynote viewer the way that Microsoft has a PC viewer available for those without the programme. Lordy me, if they can produce something as wonderful as the iPad2 and all of their other wonderful products, I would think that would be cinch and should take one of the developers/genius' little more than the morning prior to coffee break time to accomplish. It would without a shadow of a doubt also up their sales of this product which most people are hesitant to buy due to its isolation. I know this because I have heard it being suggested to people in the Apple store and in every case they hem and haw and when they realise how limited its sharing capabilities are they go for Office for Mac instead. I had to break down and get that as well for when I need to work on shared documents.

Reaction score
Keynote to Quicktime etc.

Thank you for you very full input. I am spared the need to send my material by email and have had success with the DVD route especially if they are played back onto good quality TV screens. Curiously the loss of colour saturation has become much more apparent and comparison with slideshows on DVD from 2 or 3 years back confirms that. Let's see if any other ideas are forthcoming.

Tony

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Sorry :( They don't call me Chatty Kathy for nothing. Did not mean to bore.

Reaction score
In regards to OP's original question and issue, we are having a similar issue. We are using OS X with Keynote, iDVD, iMoviel. We have a keynote PPT which we export to quicktime format (.mov). We select the option to have "manual advances" so we can skip to the next slide via a "next" button on the remote. We wish to burn this to DVD so that it may be used on home dvd players. Our problem arises when we go to add the quicktime movie (which works how we want it to: using the next button to go to the next animation and frame) iDVD claims there are to many menus (only 99 allowed). This is a 721 slide PPT with our main goal getting this to dvd and having complete animation/slide viewing capabilities. There is no audio. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

C

chas_m

To the best of my knowledge, there is no consumer program that is going to let you put a *721-slide* presentation on to DVD with manual advance.

You can produce the slideshow with timings for automatic advance and export it as a movie -- assuming it's under two hours, and I don't see how you get 721 slides pushed out in less than two hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.