error message

Reaction score
so im in bootcamp trying to install windows and while it was partitioning i got this message
"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use disk utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume.restore your information to the disk and try using boot camp again" what do i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Insert your Mac OS X installation disc, restart your computer, once the white screen appears right after it starts up, hold the C key. It will boot into the installation disc, press Utilities (or Applications) it will be on the top, and choose Disk Utility.

Click on the primary hard disk (Macintosh HD), not the partition but the Hard Disk itself, and click Check Permissions, then Repair Permissions. Then Check Hard Disk for Errors (or something like that), then repair.

Restart your computer and you should be able to partition. Also keep in mind that while you're choosing the size of the Boot Camp partition, you must leave out at least 8GB for the Macintosh partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i will try that

Let us know, but that probably is not going to work. The message you received is really stating that you don't have enough contiguous space on the drive to create a BC partition. In other words, the drive is fragmented. That will either require a reinstall of OS X or the use of third party software to defragment the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag, I used the receive the exact same error a lot, and that's how I always managed to fix it. Sure hope it works for him.

Reaction score
Hello, I have this exact same error.

I would like to install windows and it keeps giving me this error. I will try the technique outlined above. Has it NOT worked for anyone before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Repairing the disk using the Snow Leopard DVD always worked for me.

Follow the instructions I posted earlier and it will work, I guarantee it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.