• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Flash coming to iPhone - appears restricted to native apps..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I hope this article is 100% wrong and flash is not coming to iOS.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I have mixed feelings honestly.

On one side, I agree, there are problems with flash and it may kill battery life.

On the other side, I think we as owners of the hardware should be given the option to enable/disable flash support - especially since so much educational material that is out there is currently in Flash (yeah, I work for a school).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, you guys know me. I hope they fold and say "yeah... we made a mistake. HTML 5 won't be ready for prime time in the foreseeable future, we give." It's like... come on. Either deliver ALL content NOW or stop C blocking already working technology and let it do its thing until you babies get your little plan together !

Yep... totally me.

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think here we have 2 groups of people:

One group believe iOS should have flash and believe Apple made a mistake for not having it. And the other group are anti flash and think Apple made the right decision banning it on iOS. And I think the 2 groups of people must agree to disagree on their views. As so far they are pretty against each other on this issue.

Personally I'm in the anti flash camp but there are enough people in the pro Apple and flash cam too. I think this is a debate that will not be resolved any time soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

One group believe iOS should have flash and believe Apple made a mistake for not having it. And the other group are anti flash and think Apple made the right decision banning it on iOS. And I think the 2 groups of people must agree to disagree on their views. As so far they are pretty against each other on this issue.

Personally I'm in the anti flash camp but there are enough people in the pro Apple and flash cam too. I think this is a debate that will not be resolved any time soon.

I think I fall into a 3rd group. I don't care if iOS has flash or not, so long as having it doesn't detract from usability any more than not having it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"

I respect your opinion, but why should people have to jailbreak their iPhones if they want flash? You could block flash on your phone just as some people do as people do on your computer. But here's the kicker, you would have the option to view flash material. I'm not saying flash is good or flash is bad, but the option should be there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think I fall into a 3rd group. I don't care if iOS has flash or not, so long as having it doesn't detract from usability any more than not having it does.

Well said. I agree totally with that.

Maybe they should have an enable/disable for those that really don't want Flash running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I respect your opinion, but why should people have to jailbreak their iPhones if they want flash? You could block flash on your phone just as some people do as people do on your computer. But here's the kicker, you would have the option to view flash material. I'm not saying flash is good or flash is bad, but the option should be there.

Well said. I agree totally with that.

Maybe they should have an enable/disable for those that really don't want Flash running.

BoogieNights10.jpg
HELLO EXACTLY ! ! !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I'm joining your group! The only reason why I don't want flash on my iphone is because of the problems associated with other devices. It's also why I disable flash on my computers...life is just so much simpler.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is that you doug? :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that you doug? :D Grin

That's absolutely silly of you to think, I mean really man.

I am SO much better looking and built ! Pfffff. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hope they have a click to flash option or something as good.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think he is referring to the ability to block Flash content unless otherwise specified.

I'll say only this because it seems like I've made this argument 1000 times in Flash related threads: Flash is terrible and allowing Flash to further cement itself as a standard does nothing to unseat Flash as the defacto means of delivering content to the end user. There is little (if any) motivation to develop an alternative if the "standard" has such great permeation that there is little logical sense not to use it. Further supporting Flash and neglecting any attempts to change this will do nothing other than make Flash become an even worse piece of software that can only claim market share and not technical superiority (what I like to call the Internet Explorer effect).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I think he is referring to the ability to block Flash content unless otherwise specified.

I'll say only this because it seems like I've made this argument 1000 times in Flash related threads: Flash is terrible and allowing Flash to further cement itself as a standard does nothing to unseat Flash as the defacto means of delivering content to the end user. There is little (if any) motivation to develop an alternative if the "standard" has such great permeation that there is little logical sense not to use it. Further supporting Flash and neglecting any attempts to change this will do nothing other than make Flash become an even worse piece of software that can only claim market share and not technical superiority (what I like to call the Internet Explorer effect).

That is exactly what I mean and use it on my MBP and it runs cooler and the battery lasts longer can't imagine running Flash on mobile devices without being plugged in an external power source with a fan blowing on it.

Reaction score
Flash is terrible and allowing Flash to further cement itself as a standard does nothing to unseat Flash as the defacto means of delivering content to the end user. There is little (if any) motivation to develop an alternative if the "standard" has such great permeation that there is little logical sense not to use it. Further supporting Flash and neglecting any attempts to change this will do nothing other than make Flash become an even worse piece of software that can only claim market share and not technical superiority (what I like to call the Internet Explorer effect).

I like your thesis here. I definitely agree with you on the IE effect. That term oughta be coined by now if it hasn't already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There's a nit of mixed-messaging here....

The change to the Developers agreement is nothing to do with having Flash/Flash Player on iOS devices.

When iOS 4 was released to developers the terms and conditions changed to say that only Apples SDK tools could be used to create apps.

This was to block Adobe who were about to release a new version of thier tools that allowed existing flash developers to use the tools they were familiar with and compile the resultant app into Objective C to run on iOS devices.

The annoucement allows devs to use whatever tools they like to produce apps. Those apps with still end up being IOS native apps. It's purely a change to allow a greater variety of dev tools.

This is what it's all about:
http://www.cultofmac.com/adobe-to-r...m_campaign=Feed:+cultofmac/bFow+(Cult+of+Mac)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.