Installed Updates and Now Have Big Problems With Macbook

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife installed updates using the auto-update utility...I believe it was iTunes 10 and maybe something else...Quicktime? Unfortunately, she doesn't even know...she was asked to update and she clicked yes.

What a disaster. This is a Macbook bought in late 2007 with Intel duo...probably 2.83 ghz if I recall correctly. We never bought a new operating system, but I can't tell you what version I'm running. Read and you will see why.

Here are the problems:

1) The dock has disappeared. This isn't because it is hidden. Dock preferences shows that the auto hide is off, and even if I change the location from bottom (which is checked) to side, it doesn't work. When I go back into preferences, "bottom" is still checked.

2) A click on "about this mac" does not produce anything. The menu disappears but nothing happens. (Thus I can't see what OS I'm running.)

3) I cannot drag icons to move them.

4) Various programs will not run. I am getting an error code -600 on some of them, but others just won't launch. Other times I get a message that the system is updating (or something like that).

5) I can't open a document directly from email.

6) I cannot minimize any window.

7) I cannot shut down, sleep, or log off. A forced restart (holding down the power button) is necessary each time.

8) I was able to open the Activity Monitor once (but now can't open it) and it showed almost every application running. Yikes!

I hope someone could help. I am not really that good with Macs. With Windows I would just restore to a prior point. Had I known that Macs didn't have this automatic restore point, I would have done the Time Machine thing. As it is now, there is no backup or anything like that. If I need to restore the computer, does this wipe out all my data (photos, music, etc)?

I really appreciate any help that I can get on this...thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would download the "combo" update for your OS and apply that. Hopefully that will resolve your issues. Do you have ANY idea which version of OS X you have? It should be Leopard (10.5.x) unless you upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.x) since buying it. Here are the relevant links:
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)

OP
J
Reaction score
I would download the "combo" update for your OS and apply that. Hopefully that will resolve your issues. Do you have ANY idea which version of OS X you have? It should be Leopard (10.5.x) unless you upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.x) since buying it. Here are the relevant links:
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo)

It is Leopard...I never upgraded to Snow Leopard. I'm fairly sure that I have installed updates to the OS, but not sure if the combo was installed. I do know that I tried once to update to the latest version of Safari, but was unable to do so since I did not upgrade to Snow Leopard. (To be honest, I'm not into paying the $200 or so to upgrade since I paid $1500 for the machine only about three years ago. Yes, I am cheap, but I figured the $1500 would keep me going for a while...this machine is used casually, not for intensive purposes.)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I am sure an installation disc came with your computer, just insert it and reinstall OSX. Reinstalling will not remove anything, but more like repair the OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is Leopard...I never upgraded to Snow Leopard. I'm fairly sure that I have installed updates to the OS, but not sure if the combo was installed. I do know that I tried once to update to the latest version of Safari, but was unable to do so since I did not upgrade to Snow Leopard. (To be honest, I'm not into paying the $200 or so to upgrade since I paid $1500 for the machine only about three years ago. Yes, I am cheap, but I figured the $1500 would keep me going for a while...this machine is used casually, not for intensive purposes.)

Thanks!

Snow Leopard is $29 to Leopard owners, not $200. If you like that price better, then just go ahead and upgrade. If not, try the 10.5.8 combo update and see if it resolves the problems.

OP
J
Reaction score
I am sure an installation disc came with your computer, just insert it and reinstall OSX. Reinstalling will not remove anything, but more like repair the OSX.

Thanks, Tarek.

Before I do that I think I would want to back up everything anyway. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the best way to back everything up? I would die (actually, my wife would kill me) if I lost the family photos.

OP
J
Reaction score
Snow Leopard is $29 to Leopard owners, not $200. If you like that price better, then just go ahead and upgrade. If not, try the 10.5.8 combo update and see if it resolves the problems.

$29 I could swallow.

Should I try to first reinstall the original operating system, or do you think the Snow Leopard upgrade would do the trick?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$29 I could swallow.

Should I try to first reinstall the original operating system, or do you think the Snow Leopard upgrade would do the trick?

There is no need to reinstall Leopard first. You should, as a matter of good computing practice, back up your important files first. They should remain safely in place after the upgrade, but you should ALWAYS be prepared in case something happens rather than just hope for the best. Hard drives do crash, often unexpectedly, and if you don't have backups now, you are vulnerable NOW to losing your stuff.

OP
J
Reaction score
There is no need to reinstall Leopard first. You should, as a matter of good computing practice, back up your important files first. They should remain safely in place after the upgrade, but you should ALWAYS be prepared in case something happens rather than just hope for the best. Hard drives do crash, often unexpectedly, and if you don't have backups now, you are vulnerable NOW to losing your stuff.

I fully agree with you, and I appreciate your help!

But what is the best way to do a backup? Again, pardon my ignorance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Time Machine. But since you said System Preferences doesn't even open and the same with most applications, you can just get an external HD or flash drive and copy all the important files (in this case, pictures) you need and keep them safe.

OR you can try one of these methods:

Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6: How to back up and restore your files

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To be honest, I'm not into paying the $200 or so to upgrade since I paid $1500 for the machine only about three years ago.

I can totally understand your reluctance not wanting to spend money to upgrade (at least $200)...but also realize that your $1500 3 year-old Macbook is probably worth about $750 now (depending on it's exact specs).

And of course $29 bucks for the Snow Leopard upgrade is certainly a heck of a deal!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I fully agree with you, and I appreciate your help!

But what is the best way to do a backup? Again, pardon my ignorance.

Well for the time being, I would get an external hard drive and use SuperDuper (free backup tool) to clone your drive as-is to that. Once you have installed Snow Leopard and it is working to your satisfaction and you are certain all your important files are intact, I would wipe that external drive and start using it as a Time Capsule for use with Time Machine.

OP
J
Reaction score
I recently posted this, but I supplied the wrong information. Instead of running Leopard operating system, I am running Tiger. (That's why the upgrade is so expensive...I need to upgrade with the Mac Box Set.)

The Macbook was purchased in May, 2007 (earlier than I thought) and runs with the Intel processor with 2.16 ghz. (or something like that).

I am willing to upgrade with the Mac Box Set....I was able to find it on Amazon for about $100, but wanted to make sure that this would be a good fix. What do you think? (And sorry for wasting your time earlier today...I am going to get an external hard drive for backup as well...thanks for the advice!)

Here is my original post from a previous thread:

Hello,

My wife installed updates using the auto-update utility...I believe it was iTunes 10 and maybe something else...Quicktime? Unfortunately, she doesn't even know...she was asked to update and she clicked yes.

What a disaster. This is a Macbook bought in late 2007 with Intel duo...probably 2.83 ghz if I recall correctly. We never bought a new operating system, but I can't tell you what version I'm running. Read and you will see why.

Here are the problems:

1) The dock has disappeared. This isn't because it is hidden. Dock preferences shows that the auto hide is off, and even if I change the location from bottom (which is checked) to side, it doesn't work. When I go back into preferences, "bottom" is still checked.

2) A click on "about this mac" does not produce anything. The menu disappears but nothing happens. (Thus I can't see what OS I'm running.)

3) I cannot drag icons to move them.

4) Various programs will not run. I am getting an error code -600 on some of them, but others just won't launch. Other times I get a message that the system is updating (or something like that).

5) I can't open a document directly from email.

6) I cannot minimize any window.

7) I cannot shut down, sleep, or log off. A forced restart (holding down the power button) is necessary each time.

8) I was able to open the Activity Monitor once (but now can't open it) and it showed almost every application running. Yikes!

I hope someone could help. I am not really that good with Macs. With Windows I would just restore to a prior point. Had I known that Macs didn't have this automatic restore point, I would have done the Time Machine thing. As it is now, there is no backup or anything like that. If I need to restore the computer, does this wipe out all my data (photos, music, etc)?

I really appreciate any help that I can get on this...thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post! Always post back to the original thread otherwise it causes confusion and clutter in the forums. I moved your new post to the original thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, there's no guarantee that upgrading your OS will fix your problems. You may well have some hardware problem… perhaps a failing hard drive. I would back up your hard drive PRONTO to save while you can. Afterwards, you can try running the Apple Hardware Test.
Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

If that comes back clean, you may want to run some disk checking utilities. You can do a SMART check using Onyx, as well as verify the startup volume. There are some other disk utilities that do more extensive testing, none of which are cheap.

If that all comes back clean, you can try running the various maintenance tools in Onyx, though to be honest I'm skeptical they will fix this. Anywho… try all this first and let us know how it works out.

OP
J
Reaction score
I purchased an external hard drive and was able to back up most of my data -- pictures, etc. Although the drive was pre-formatted for mac, i couldn't do a full backup. I can't get the software to run. That's ok for now. I feel so much better with a copy ofost everything

Now here is my problem. I'm missing the installation disks that came with the machine. I have everything else-- the original box, other paperwork etc. But no disks. I even have the AppleCare disk, but of course the AppleCare warranty expired three months ago.

Is there any way to get a copy of these disks, preferably by download so I can get this machine going again?

I truly appreciate all the help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can't download it, but if you call Apple, they can send you a replacement set of discs for that specific Mac for around $20-40, or you can get Snow Leopard from Apple or reseller for US$29

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
For the record, if it's a late 2007 MacBook, it is either the 2GHz or or 2.2GHz Model, and if it's mid 2007 it's either the 2GHz or 2.16Ghz model.
If calling Apple for the original install discs, all you will need to supply them with is the serial number which is located on the box and on the bottom of the Mac under the battery when it is removed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.