Connecting via USB causes laptop to shut down...

pod

Reaction score
Hi all,

My gf has a problem with her laptop (PC) so I thought I'd ask on here for some advice.

Recently, whenever she attempts to plug in any external device (external hard drive, iPod or digital camera) in to her laptop via the USB ports, as soon as the device lead is inserted the laptop shuts down. The laptop will not restart with the device and lead still connected but will restart once they are removed. Once restarted the laptop works as it should.

I have also tried connecting just a USB lead with no device on the other end to her laptop and this also causes shut down.

I have connected external hard drive, iPod or digital camera to my Apple laptop and they show, mount and transfer files as expected.

All the items connected fine to her laptop until about a week ago...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Seems like a motherboard issue. But have you tried reinstalling OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Well as this is not a PC forum (Windows Based not politicly correct :) ) I would say there is an issue with the USB bus and power to the bus ... there is a very good possiblity that you may be looking at getting a new system board for the NoteBook... not very many user replaceable parts on notebooks as far as integrated components go...

If you really need that laptop may I suggest a pcmcia card that has usb ports... or and express card depending on the age of the computer

If the Laptop will not start (turn on) with any thing pluged in to the USB's a reinstall of the OS will mostlikely not help.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
Well as this is not a PC forum (Windows Based not politicly correct :) )

I know, I know, but she's my gf! :D

Your suggestion of a 'pcmcia card that has usb ports'... would that attach to the laptop via one of the USB ports... and cause the same shutdown problem?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is probably a simple case of the USB power bus being exceeded and the machine shuts down automatically to protect the power supply. Quite normal.

Buy your GF a powered USB hub. That should resolve the problem. Powered hubs can be found at Best Buy, Radio Shack, Office Depot, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
This is probably a simple case of the USB power bus being exceeded and the machine shuts down automatically to protect the power supply. Quite normal.

I understand what you are saying above but what seems strange is that it is a recent problem: the external HD, iPod and camera have connected without problem for the last 18 months or so. I'll look in to the idea of a powered USB hub. Thanks.

Also, as I wrote in my initial post: 'I have also tried connecting just a USB lead with no device on the other end to her laptop and this also causes shut down.', which would suggest the fault is something other than USB power bus being exceeded, as just a cable wouldn't be drawing any power?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, as I wrote in my initial post: 'I have also tried connecting just a USB lead with no device on the other end to her laptop and this also causes shut down.', which would suggest the fault is something other than USB power bus being exceeded, as just a cable wouldn't be drawing any power?

I missed that. It's beginning to sound more like a defective USB bus - possibly a short. That might even indicate a motherboard problem. I've had a USB bus go out altogether on a PC desktop. It was due to a faulty motherboard. The work around was to go into CMOS setup, shut off the built in USB and install a PCI USB card. That worked.

So perhaps what csegeek recommended might work. The only thing is that usually the PCMCIA input is tied directly to the MB. Let us know if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.