is downloading file p2p applications bad for the mac?

M

mr..nemo

i remember haveing windows computers and as soon as i installed something like kazaa and started to fill my system up problems started and the computer ran alot slower?

do adding files make ur computer run slowwer and is it better for the macs health just not to install these apps or is this aload of rubish?

new powermac and i want to keep it in top health :doctor:

any comments will be helpfull, thanks

Reaction score
I try to stick to only downloads that Apple recommends myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
It is not the P2P sharing that slows a computer, but all the extraware Kazaa installs. I use to have Kazaa in my PC, and it is a real pain if you get the free versions, it forces you to use its own antivirus and the Gator software, also there is allways someone sending viruses or worms with the downloads.
Since OSX doesn't have problems with virus/worms/trojans/spyware/others you won't have to worry about those problems. Try Limewire, it makes a clean install for free and is compatible with Windows, OSX, and Linux. Now, what you decide to donwload its up to yourself, there is allways a risk from downloading anything, even more if you don't know who is at the other end of the connection.

OP
M

mr..nemo

i might get limewire, might even go for the pro verison which you pay for just to be sure, call me over protective.

OP
J

jeXus

mr..nemo said:
i might get limewire, might even go for the pro verison which you pay for just to be sure, call me over protective.

I use the free version and I know for a fact there is no spyware. I would have booted the app a long itme ago if it did. Also there arent many corrupted files floating around on that network like there was on Kazaa. There are many other apps out there for MAC that can be used for file sharing some are more underground than others. Those are the best ones and also the hardest to find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't know why you are all worried about the spyware/adware aspect of the program since there has yet to be any spyware/adware for OS X

OP
D

dackerman

The BEST P2P application for Mac OS X is Aquisition.

It uses the Limewire networks, and is not written in Java (slow), looks great because it uses Cocoa, and is super fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
trpnmonkey41 said:
I don't know why you are all worried about the spyware/adware aspect of the program since there has yet to be any spyware/adware for OS X

easy.. its useless crap that althought it doesnt hurt your mac it takes up space.. i think..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iWonder said:
easy.. its useless crap that althought it doesnt hurt your mac it takes up space.. i think..

It doesn't exist on macs....nothing extra is added when you install the p2p programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.