• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD error message

K

Kathie

When I make a movie then pull it into iDVD it won't burn to disc. iDVD tells me I must have an audio track or slide show. I've never had this problem before. I know some kids who will be very disappointed if I don't get their talent show on DVD! :(
Any suggestions?!?

Am running Version 10.3.9 on a G4 iMac.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What format is the movie in? Did you edit the movie in iMovie? Make sure the tracks for the sound are enabled (checkboxes) when you hit 'Send to iDVD'.

(See attached thumbnail to see what i mean...)

OP
K

Kathie

Aptmunich said:
What format is the movie in? Did you edit the movie in iMovie? Make sure the tracks for the sound are enabled (checkboxes) when you hit 'Send to iDVD'.

(See attached thumbnail to see what i mean...)

Thanks for the graphic, neat trick! All those things are checked. The error says: Problems found validating project. A DVD must have one video track or one slide show.

I repaired permissions, didn't matter. The movie is perfect when I preview in the DVD window.
Thanks for your help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well have you tried just adding an empty slideshow ?

Sounds silly, I know... but maybe it'll work?

Or start a new project from scratch?
Alternatively try exporting the film in iMovie (not via the 'send to iDVD' tab) and add that to iDVD.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is what I do. I edit my video in iMovie. Then i go in to iDVD and create everything i need. Once that is done, I import my editted video into iDVD. I don't export to iDVD from iMovie.

OP
K

Kathie

I started out pulling the movie into the Drop Zone. Instead, I should have clicked 'Share'. In iMovie I was looking for 'File', --->'Export' when I should have been looking for the File--->SHARE. I'm using on '03 book titled THe Little Mac iApps Book by Tollett and Williams. It's been a great book for a relatively newbie like me. The book has been invaluable but some of the terms seem to be dumbed down since then.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. Does using the share option in iMovie, cut down on the encoding time in iDVD?

OP
K

Kathie

rman said:
Interesting. Does using the share option in iMovie, cut down on the encoding time in iDVD?
In my limited experience, no. Still takes forever and a day to encode. I started burning at 0305, when I went to bed at 0425 the program was still burning. The finished product is about 30 mins.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My little 500Mhz system takes anywhere from 8 to 14 hours to complete a DVD. Depending in the length of the video.

I am looking at getting a new system soon. So hopefully that will cut down on the encoding time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.