• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Google unveils 'Google Instant' to speed up Internet search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
That is awesome. Google has always been my number one search engine and my homepage. Neither Bing nor Yahoo can top it.

Thanks for sharing the news.

Reaction score
I like how the local news in my area is completely misreporting on facts. They are hinting at Google's new search engine as just a ploy so you can shop at online stores. Little do they know that a lot of it is based on searched you've done before or the area your in (not saying that Google can do preferred buys on searches)!!

I hate the local news. Can the local news jump the shark? They should have been canceled a long time ago.

Reaction score
I'm not promoting this video, despite it being mine. I saw the news on Business Insider's daily email to me, and thought, "I'm going to examine this with QuickTime"

And so, I did:

YouTube - Cool- Google Instant

As you could probably tell at the end of the video, I was not awake at 7:15 in the morning. I was looking for the "Stop Recording" button, and thought it was a contextual menu item. *facepalm* ahahahaha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
One search engine has had this forever, I don't remember the name. Nothing really new here... :/

I, personally, hate this feature and every time I turn it off it comes back on.

Reaction score
One search engine has had this forever, I don't remember the name. Nothing really new here... :/

I, personally, hate this feature and every time I turn it off it comes back on.

You don't want people to accidentally find out about your secret shame? =P

But seriously, I could see how this could get annoying. It's a little distracting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
You don't want people to accidentally find out about your secret shame? =P

But seriously, I could see how this could get annoying. It's a little distracting
I've never been a fan of it. When I first saw it (5 years ago) I thought it was cool but not useful. Google seems to be playing catchup now with their search engine which never used to be the case. They changed their images to view just like Bing.

I prefer simple search engines that are accurate and Google seems to be swaying away from this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
I have to admit, I don't find it too appealing yet, but that might change as I become more used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM H/D, nVidia 9400M + 9600M 512 MB, 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM
I love it. Saving 2-5 seconds per search is absolutely fine with me.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My issue is this:
Could google store all this instant search information like with instant search they could upload what we type in the search bar letter by letter and store that information somewhere. And I dunno that kind of information has the potential to be abused. Would Google ever do this? Or am I over worrying and is there nothing to be worried about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I hate it. Rather annoying to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.