Jumpy mouse in OSX, smooth in windows

Reaction score
I've used both the bt magic mouse and a USB microsoft mouse on my new 27" imac and can't stand how jumpy they are in OSX. I actually mouse-draw graphics and have resorted to installing windows to use whenever I have to do drawing work. Is there a setting somewhere that fixes this?

When dragging the mouse very slowly, the pointer won't move at all and then suddenly jumps 10 pixels. Works fine when dragging fast, but I need fine-tuned movement :) Both mouses in windows7 when dragging slowly move ~2 pixes at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Thank you so much, mdfuller. My Magic Mouse actually works better on Windows, so I am going to give SteerMouse a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Thank you so much, mdfuller. My Magic Mouse actually works better on Windows, so I am going to give SteerMouse a try.

No problemo. USB Overdrive is another one people like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded MagicDriver and it is absolutely perfect. It's the Magic Mouse version of SteerMouse.

Thanks again for the link.

OP
S
Reaction score
"SteerMouse lets you control the Sensitivity on top of that. Adjusting both configurations makes it easier to find the ideal setting to fit the movements of your hand."

Frikkin sweet, will give it a try, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The whole mouse acceleration curve thing was my biggest obstacle in making the switch years ago. I am not sure what would've happened if I didn't find the two solutions I mentioned above!

Reaction score
Odd, I run into no such issues. My Mac came well set up from Apple. And the stock adjustments in "System Preferences" allow decent fine tuning. The latest SL version even has inertial scrolling which many have enjoyed for years on the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Odd, I run into no such issues. My Mac came well set up from Apple. And the stock adjustments in "System Preferences" allow decent fine tuning. The latest SL version even has inertial scrolling which many have enjoyed for years on the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Some people can handle it. Some people cannot. Google "mac mouse acceleration" and read about it until your eyeballs fall out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
But…it's adjustable?!!?

The acceleration curve on the Mac is different than the one one Windows. Period. Without the tools I mention there is no way to adjust it if you prefer the Windoze curve. I would love to be called a liar, but I am pretty confident I am correct.

Reaction score
The acceleration curve on the Mac is different than the one one Windows. Period. Without the tools I mention there is no way to adjust it if you prefer the Windoze curve. I would love to be called a liar, but I am pretty confident I am correct.

You can adjust it stock, and get used to the rest. After all, those "afflicted" got used to the windows mouse, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You can adjust it stock, and get used to the rest. After all, one so "afflicted" got used to the windows mouse, correct?

I am a server guy and work with Windows all day. I like having them the same (or as close to the same as they can get). Get over it.

Reaction score
I am a server guy and work with Windows all day. I like having them the same (or as close to the same as they can get). Get over it.

Calm down, there is nothing to get over. You found something that works for you so stick with it. I'm doing the same. I do have quick reflexes and have my track pad and mice set fast. Hobbies include car racing and gaming. I love the way the Mac works, no worries at all for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
The whole mouse acceleration curve thing was my biggest obstacle in making the switch years ago. I am not sure what would've happened if I didn't find the two solutions I mentioned above!

I second that ... really initially it was pain to get used to mouse on Mac ... and I was glad I was not the only one ...I tried all the settings ... but nothing!!! ... I thought I have to get used to it ... but sometime ago I got a Microsoft mouse and installed drivers for it ... I dont know what happened ... either I got used to it or Microsoft mouse drivers made the acceleration curve for my mouse linear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I bought this Magic Mouse, I used a Microsoft arc, which was perfect for both Windows and Mac and I didn't feel a difference at all.

Anyway, do you guys know of a program like SteerMouse (Magic Driver) for Windows? I would like to set the two-button click to be the middle mouse button. It helps when browsing since you can open any link you want as a tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

I know exactly what you're talking about, but only recently noticed it. I used the trackpad on my MBP for a bit before I got a very basic wireless USB laptop mouse to use. Even on that mouse I didn't notice it, but just last Christmas I got a new mouse to use and I noticed it with that mouse. I forget how I changed it, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Since I don't remember what I did right now, I can't agree with your statement of there not being a way to adjust it in the Pref Pane, but I can agree with you saying that it is different than the Windows mouse movement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.