iOS 4.1 today?

Reaction score
I thought i read that iOS 4.1 was to be released today, but iTunes keeps telling me that 4.02 is the current version.

when do they usually release the update? is it later in the day?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
J
Reaction score
i just checked again and I am now downloading iOS 4.1. i cant wait until its finished, my 3G has been slow and im ready for it to be back to normal

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Grrr, I checked before I left home about an hour ago and it wasn't available. I guess I have to wait till I get home tonight. (at work)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all updated. Update was normal speed and not the SNAILS pace like 4.0! So far I can for sure see a difference especially when typing. It's keeping up now. Apps open a lot faster in many cases.

It will be interesting to see what others notice when they upgrade their 3G. Also if the iPhone 4 issues are fixed like the Proximity Sensor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
My iPhone3G failed to update to 4.0.2 last night and now fails to restore either. From the file name, I think it is now trying to apply 4.1 - not that it does much good now it is stuck.

Oddly enough, about 2/3 of the way though the download, the iPhone times out and shuts down. Coincidentally, it is about 2/3 of the way through the restore that it hangs. My guess is the stupid phone switching off corrupts the download each time.

Hard to believe all this farce with iOS4 is not just a ploy to make users of iPhone3G upgrade to iPhone4. I am not yet tempted to do that, but the iPod Touch is looking very tempting. Even the Android might be worth a try.

After the awesome iPad, how could Apple sink this far? :(

Edit - is there any way to download the new file without having the iPhone waiting to shutdown part way through please?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Download comes through iTunes. The iPhone shutting down should not affect the download but it would sure affect the install that is for sure. When is the phone shutting down exactly? That does not sound normal at all. Even when 4.0 first came out, besides waiting over an hour, I had no issues installing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The iPhone shuts down 2/3 of the way through the download.

The update - and subsequent restore attempts - all hang about that distance through the procedure, I.e. The progress bar on the phone is just under the right hand edge of the apple logo.

Why was I dumb enough to update yesterday to 4.0.2 instead of waiting until today for 4.1? :(

OP
J
Reaction score
after messing with my 3G on iOS 4.1, i have noticed a little bit of speed increase in apps and such, but not as much as the hype was about. but still it did improve from painfully slow to slightly faster than before 4.01

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a heads up. It seems faster after using it a bit. When it was first updated I saw some improvement, but after an hour or so I opened it and it feels even faster. All the Apps I opened opened faster. Seems faster after a bit of usage is what I am saying. At least that is what I noticed anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Just a heads up. It seems faster after using it a bit. When it was first updated I saw some improvement, but after an hour or so I opened it and it feels even faster. All the Apps I opened opened faster. Seems faster after a bit of usage is what I am saying. At least that is what I noticed anyway.

I got my iphone 4 yesterday and after using my dying 3g I thought it was fast ... its now even faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
I spent about 5 hours last night downloading 4.1 onto 3 different generations of iphone (unfortunately I suffer from extremely slow broadband). result:

Wife's iPhone 4 - seems to have sorted out all the bugs (although she never experienced any antenna issues) and HDR/ Tone Mapping camera option looks interesting - can't wait to see results?

My 3GS - Can't detect much difference to be honest - slight speed bump. Game Center (sic) of little interest to me.

Old 3G - Thankfully, with the increased speed, the phone is now usable again (which is just as well as I am giving it to my God daughter for her birthday)

Roll on 4.2 (mainly for my iPad)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After it ruined my iPhone I will not be risking my iPad by updating that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Loaded it on my iP4 last night. Doesn't seem particularly different. Game Center seems like just another way to make money for the iTunes store...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Baggss, do remember, MANY had issues with the Proximity Sensor kicking in and out and causing havoc. If you did not then you might not see much difference.

BUT...

on the iPhone 3G it's a LOT faster and makes the phone totally useable again. So for some the IOS 4.1 upgrade will do more than it will do for others.

Reaction score
OK guys......a "Word to the wise" from someone who learned the hard way!

I just upgraded my iPhone 4 to v4.1 and considering that my company blocks iTunes and I have a 6GB Rogers data plan, I did it over tethering. Seemed like fun at first but then it turned out to be a BIG MISTAKE!!!

The download was OK, heck, even the upgrade was OK. However, when the first part finished, I BRICKED my phone. Apparently, after the initial upgrade, the iTunes has to talk to Apple for some more information. The phone simply showed a USB cable with a link to iTunes and although my phone was plugged into iTunes, it had no way of talking to it as this was a device with no OS on it.

After PANICKING and troubleshooting for about 5-10 minutes, I realized that this has to do with no Internet connection for iTunes. I had to run around between three places to find free WI-FI (God bless Starbucks) to get my phone to work.

A lesson learned for sure……DO NOT upgrade unless you have a constant Internet connection.

As far as the update is concerned…….. I have to say, the new OS is VERY responsive. The phone seems a lot faster at loading apps and I am actually able to type an entire sentence without misspelling words in vertical mode. In the past, I’ve always had to switch to horizontal mode to ensure the keys registered properly. This may or may not have anything to do with the update but I surely find it easier to type now.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why didn't you just wait until you got home and hooked it up to iTunes directly, or to a more reliable connection, instead of relying on tethering?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.