External HD help

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

First Id just like to say after being a long time windows user i upgraded to my first mac other than just ipods.(lol) A macbook Pro 13'' with 250GB HD. Now I am no computer wiz which I know most of you probably are thats why I am here. The 250gb HD is probably enough for me but i do have about 50gbs of music and Im always getting more also i will be adding video and my own recordings to the Macs HD. So I was thinking of getting a low priced external HD but being CPU illiterate I come here for help. Below is a list of questions and what I need in a HD any recommendations and answers to my questions is very appreciated.

Questions-
- is it simple for me to use a program like AVCware to get all my songs of my ipod and onto an external HD?
-is it easy for me to play the songs off the external HD in itunes?
-what else can i use an external HD for?

I may think up more so bare with me lol

Requirements-
-SIMPLICITY
-dosent need to be more than 250GB but if its not alot more 500 would be excellent.
-under 100 USD would be excellent.
-Id like to buy in person so something from a best buy or a Walmart/Meijer or something like that would be best but if online is the best deal i can do that.

may add more later but thats all for now thanks alot guys!!

ps. remember to keep it simple im no cpu wiz.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved. Does not belong in "Anything Goes". Please read forum descriptions prior to posting.

OP
L
Reaction score
no need to be rash sorry for putting it in the wrong spot though. I guess i figured anything goes in anything goes got no help for me though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
1) I'm not sure, but an external HD works just like an internal one when formatted as NTFS. If you're using Snow Leopard, you will have no trouble reading and writing to it just like you can do on Windows.

2) You can get whatever size you want, it's a matter of preference. Don't be lazy and search for an external HD yourself. I'd try Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! they have a lot and a lot of them are cheap. I recommend a Western Digital external HD because they aren't expensive, good quality, and they are as easy as Plug and Play. If you're unsure about prices, a $50 USD one would be great.

Good luck and if you need anything else, ask.

OP
L
Reaction score
ya i mean im doing research im not being lazy i just dont really know what to look for you didnt help much with any of my questions tho do you ppl just come to post and try and sound smarter? i dont think u maybe read the entire OP thanks anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
no need to be rash sorry for putting it in the wrong spot though. I guess i figured anything goes in anything goes got no help for me though?

Did you read the Sticky Post at the beginning of the "Anything Goes" forum?

And, your question has already been answered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
lchoke, I was just trying to clarify some things, I'm sorry if that didn't answer your questions. I have never tried to sound smarter than you, and I don't really get why you're taking it that way. Don't come here with that attitude if you're expecting someone to try and help you - it's not like we're getting paid to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.