WD Scorpio Blue in older MacBook?

Reaction score
I bought two WD 320G internal drives (WD3200BPVT, Advanced Format) for both of my MacBook 13" (2006) computers. I've messed with only one of the HDs so far. Neither MB will recognize it as an internal drive, but it is recognized as an external drive via USB connection (using a SATA-USB adapter) on both MBs. Any thoughts on why it is not recognized as an internal drive?

Most of the info I've found on Scorpio Blue HDs in discussion boards refers to MBPs rather than the older (in my case, MUCH older) MBs.

I cloned my current 80G (original) drive to the (bootable) 320G drive via USB using Carbon Copy Cloner and replaced the 80G with the 320G. When I turn on the MB, I get the dreaded flashing question mark folder.

Both MBs boot fine from the 320G via the SATA-USB adapter.

So, I'm guessing there is some internal incompatibility between the older MB and the HD? Or else the HD is a dud? Or else I'm missing something that hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am can help me with!

And, yes, I want to keep my antiquated MB! :D

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did you properly format these new drives after installing them...but before trying to install the OS?

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Nick -

Thanks for the reply. I'm quite sure I am showing my ignorance at this point, but this is what I've done to the new HD...

- Connected the new (unformatted) HD to the MB via external USB adapter. Using Disk Utility, did Erase on the new HD and formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Cloned current HD to new HD using CCC.

I didn't do a fresh install of the OS. I was hoping cloning would keep me from having to pull out my two install disks (Tiger, Leopard upgrade) for fresh installs. Since CCC creates a bootable clone of the HD, I figured this would be enough to create a fully functioning new (internal) HD. Did I figure wrong?

Will I need to do a fresh install of the OS on the new HD? If so, could I do this with the new HD (where the OS will be installed) connected as an external drive via USB?

- Bryan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick -

Thanks for the reply. I'm quite sure I am showing my ignorance at this point, but this is what I've done to the new HD...

- Connected the new (unformatted) HD to the MB via external USB adapter. Using Disk Utility, did Erase on the new HD and formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Cloned current HD to new HD using CCC.

I didn't do a fresh install of the OS. I was hoping cloning would keep me from having to pull out my two install disks (Tiger, Leopard upgrade) for fresh installs. Since CCC creates a bootable clone of the HD, I figured this would be enough to create a fully functioning new (internal) HD. Did I figure wrong?

Sounds like you did most things correctly (formatted the HD before, used the correct formatting format). I don't think that there is any reason why these new hard drives you purchased shouldn't work as a replacement internal hard drive for your Macbook.

The only thing I'm thinking is...you setup your new hard drive (which I assume you eventually what to be your new internal hard drive for your Macbook)...as an external hard drive.

I know you're using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner)...here are instructions on how to do it with the free/trial program "Super Duper" (I'm guessing the instructions for CCC are similar):

How to Make a Bootable Mac External Hard Drive | eHow.com

So what you basically did was create a "bootable external drive". What I'm not 100% sure about is if you can now take that "bootable external drive"...and install it as an internal drive.

I believe this is where the trouble is.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's some instructions on how to do what you want to do with a new hard drive...the instructions are using Mac OS X's "Migration Assistant":

Transferring your data to a new hard drive at OtherWorldComputing.com

Since these instructions are from an online store...you can probably ignore some of the "sales pitch" for other items mentioned in the instructions.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, Nick. Will fresh install and migrate and see what happens!

- Bryan

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought I would post what didn't work and what worked, FYI.

What didn't work:
Connected via USB: Mac OS X Install on external drive .
Connected via USB: (new) 320G HD.
Internal drive: (original) 80G HD.
1. Booted from Mac OS X Install (USB)
2. From Disk Utility, erased and reformatted 320G (USB).
3. Installed OS X on 320G (USB).
4. Migrated User data from 80G (internal) to 320G (USB).
5. Booted fine from 320G (USB). All files, apps, etc. are there.
6. Replaced 80G with 320G. Result: flashing gray "?" folder. 320G not recognized internally.

What did work:
I basically did the same thing as above, except I changed the USB/internal configuration...
Connected via USB: Mac OS X Install on 120G HD.
Connected via USB: (original) 80G HD.
Internal: (new) 320G HD.

I'm guessing the problem was that the MB only recognized an externally formatted/OS-installed drive as an external drive and couldn't recognize it as an internal drive unless it was formatted/OS-installed as an internal drive.

Now I have a new (and bigger) HD in my old machine!

- Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.