• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Has anyone here used an exercise ball as a chair?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
LMAO!! Sorry, I had to laugh about this. I don't know why you would want to use an exercise ball instead of an office chair.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm that's going to be uncomfortable for sure. Especially after extended usage.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved. What has this to do with "Other Hardware...." ? Please read forum descriptions before posting.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
LMAO!! Sorry, I had to laugh about this. I don't know why you would want to use an exercise ball instead of an office chair.

Yes I know on the surface it seems sort of funny...but the idea is for people that sit & work at a desk all day...it's supposed to help strengthen muscles that get weak from doing all of the sitting (legs, back, etc.)....as well as helping with stability & balance.

I'm not saying it's for everyone...just explaining the concept.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yup a couple of people at our office use the exercise balls as their chairs..ends up forcing you to keep a proper posture..

Regards

OP
O
Reaction score
So, has anyone on this list used it? I tend to slouch when working on the computer and I figure it might be useful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.26, 4GB Ram, 160GB HD, WD 2TB, 24" ACD. iPad 64GB 3G. iPhone 4 32GB Unlocked.
I tried the large exercise ball as a chair in my office for a while, there is actually a stand for them that sort of cradles the ball so when you get up it doesn't roll away. However, after a while you'll notice the ball doesn't stay firm and needs to be reinflated often. The other downfall is it is a rubber ball and can pop if you are not careful. I ended up popping mine as I forgot something in my back pocket when I sat down.

The very same day I popped mine, I went out to find a viable replacement. Big money later I came back with a Swopper Swopper - Active sitting for a healthy back They are expensive as heck but it's easily the most comfortable chair I've ever owned.

Shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
After recently experiencing lower back pain myself, i too were looking into this ball option, but in the end favored the kneeling chair, with lower leg support.

0081258101617_215X215.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I would use a normal chair, but workout and go to the gym. Solved many of my problems. :D

Reaction score
Yes I know on the surface it seems sort of funny...but the idea is for people that sit & work at a desk all day...it's supposed to help strengthen muscles that get weak from doing all of the sitting (legs, back, etc.)....as well as helping with stability & balance.

I'm not saying it's for everyone...just explaining the concept.

- Nick

It sounds more like a get healthy quick scheme. You'll probably use it for a couple of days, then get tired of it, and then switch back to a regular chair while your exercise ball goes on craigslist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I didn't realized that happened to Leo. He still uses the ball chair so I guess he sees some kind of benefit in having a chair like that.

Sitting all day in front of the computer or for general office work does require a good chair. I've used several different chairs myself and still have yet to find a perfect one. I'm interested to hear all the suggestions that worked for others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC

I'm not saying it's for everyone...just explaining the concept.:)

- Nick

I can vouche for this, as I work in a call center, sitting at a computer for 8+ hours a day.. The chairs we have offer nothing in terms of comfort or ergonomics..

This seems like a good idea to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can vouche for this, as I work in a call center, sitting at a computer for 8+ hours a day.. The chairs we have offer nothing in terms of comfort or ergonomics..

That's one of the problems with working for someone else. Most companies don't care about getting comfortable chairs. Instead they get the cheapest chairs they can find. Most will allow you to buy your own and bring it in though.

Reaction score
Actually, I was at this office today and two cubicles had a ball chair....granted, it was right next to their regular chair but still

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
That's one of the problems with working for someone else. Most companies don't care about getting comfortable chairs. Instead they get the cheapest chairs they can find. Most will allow you to buy your own and bring it in though.

Except where I work at.. You require a doctor's note (which you have to pay for out of your own pocket), in order for you to get an ergonomic chair. I still have to speak to my doctor just to get a note saying I need a better headset, or at least some kind of amp/noise isolation so I can turn the volume up louder.

They won't let us bring anything of our own in, at all. If I'm going to a friend's after work, I have to leave my laptop at the security desk, mostly because of privacy and security issues. I never do, I just smuggle it in, haha!

The chairs we have now were there when I worked there back in 2006, and were apparently there about 10 years ago (coming from my friend who worked there in 2001).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow that sucks AudioT. I've never worked for a place so strict. As long as I'm willing to pay for it myself they don't mind. Half of the time I work from home so that's not an issue there. ;)

Reaction score
After recently experiencing lower back pain myself, i too were looking into this ball option, but in the end favored the kneeling chair, with lower leg support.

0081258101617_215X215.jpg

I've always wondered how to sit in these chairs. Like, you look at it, and go "what the?"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.