new iPod nano problems??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 10.5, 1.42 GHz Power PC, nano 4th generation, Dell mini 10v with 10.6 512MB
Have never had a ipod (4th generation 8gb) but the songs only play for about 4-10 seconds and goes to the next song?? Someone at work said the songs were duplicated but they weren't.
Its brand new (refurbished) from the apple site and am sure it must be me.
I use a Mac with 10.5
Have deleted my itunes and reloaded ( tried both itunes 9 and 10) and it does the same. Have tried sync numerous times, and tried the restore a few times but no luck. Have changed it to not sync where I can manage my own loading of the songs. Deleted all my songs and tried to reload but always the same.
One time there also was a narrow blackish strip where the battery emblem was but now its OK.
Initially I just dragged some songs and dropped it onto the ipod icon, thinking that was the way. All my other mp3 were like that and think that may have been a problem.

Help a ipod beginner
thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.