Power Book G4 Tiger to Leopard HELP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Hi all,

I have been using a Powerbook G4 12" with Tiger 10.4 quite happily for the past few years and now need to upgrade to use the iphone 4 (need 10.5.8)

Im on Powerbook G4 Tiger 10.4.11 with a 1.5Ghz Processor and 1.25GB DDR SDRAM.

Can i upgrade to leopard 10.5.8 on my system and will this run ok? How do i do the upgrade?

I appreciate this may have been asked a few times but really would appreciate your knowledge around this!

Many Many Thanks in advance!

Full Specs:

Machine Name: Powerbook G4 12"
Machine Model: PowerBook6,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number of CPU's: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25GB
Bus Speed: 167MHz
Boot Rom Version: 4.9.0f0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Leopard will run perfectly on your G4, it's the same spec as the one I'm typing on now.
You will need to buy a generic Leopard DVD (Black faced, big silver X on it).
Sadly not cheap though, look to spend £100+ for a used disc on eBay at present.
The upgrade is just a case of running the install as you would have done with Tiger.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Thanks Kevriano! i was getting mixed information from people about this so got really confused!

I have just spoken to Albion (Apple Authroised retailers/repairers) in London who will upgrade my mac for me for £60+VAT. Thats a deal really considering the discs are costing £100+ on ebay! ill just do a full rebootable back up once its done incase their are issues!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have just spoken to Albion (Apple Authroised retailers/repairers) in London who will upgrade my mac for me for £60+VAT. Thats a deal really considering the discs are costing £100+ on ebay! ill just do a full rebootable back up once its done incase their are issues!

Is this Apple place (Albion)...going to include a Mac OS 10.5 install disk with this service?

Seems totally insane to me to pay someone £60+VAT to do an OS install that a "trained monkey" could do!;) All you have to do is insert the install disk...and follow the onscreen prompts.

If you don't get a OS 10.5 install disk...what are you going to do later on if you have a problem...or need to replace your hard drive...and need to reinstall the OS. Are you going to pay someone another £60+VAT???

If "Albion" is not including an OS install disk...my advice is pay the £100 for your own install disk...and do your own OS installation!

You got to be smarter than a "trained monkey"...so I'm sure you can handle your own OS install!:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I agree with Nick, and not having a disc could be an issue in future, should you need disk utility for example.
Jeez, if you're going to pay them £60 +VAT to do it, I'll do the same for half the cost. You don't live that far from me!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...should you need disk utility for example.
Jeez, if you're going to pay them £60 +VAT to do it, I'll do the same for half the cost. You don't live that far from me!

Great point! I was going to bring up the "Disk Utility" aspect as well.

And heck...if "Kevriano" would do the install for £30...I'll do it for £20!;)

- Nick

p.s. Of course "Kevriano" lives MUCH closer!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
good thinking! Its what happens when you get excited about using your iphone 4 properly! Guess i need a good slap of patience!

You guys are right! So will this disc do the job:

MAC OSX 10.5.6 - Leopard - Full Retail DVD on eBay (end time 11-Sep-10 20:31:46 BST)

Am i looking at the right disc? And once this is installed i could just software updat up 10.5.8?

Also, will my Powerbook G4 read the Dual Layer DVD?

Thank you guys! You have made me see the light!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are right! So will this disc do the job:

Am i looking at the right disc? And once this is installed i could just software updat up 10.5.8?

Also, will my Powerbook G4 read the Dual Layer DVD?

That disc looks fine to me. Yes you will be able to update the OS to 10.5.8 using "Software Update". Your Powerbook G4 1.5ghz should have a "Superdrive"...so it should have no problem reading the install disk.

Of course there's 3+ days left in that e-Bay auction...so the price can (and probably will) increase significantly!

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
yeh im assuming it will but at least now i have a better idea of which disc it is im after!

Can at least start bidding on various auctions and see what happens!

Final questions for you if you dont mind?

1. Will i be able to do and archive and install or will i need a full clean installation?

2. Could i then use this disc to do the same on another G4 or will i be restricted to just my own G4? (serial numbers)? My mate has the same problem as me, so we could just share the cost of the disc on ebay and both use it if possible which would work out cheaper then the Albion instalation.

Thanks guys

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can at least start bidding on various auctions and see what happens!

Why start bidding on auctions...just put them in your "watch" list. By bidding on auctions early, all you do is drive up the price. Most e-Bay auctions end in the last 5-10 seconds anyway. Just my humble opinion.:)

Final questions for you if you dont mind?

1. Will i be able to do and archive and install or will i need a full clean installation?

I believe that the "archive & install" option was still available with OS 10.5 install disks.

2. Could i then use this disc to do the same on another G4 or will i be restricted to just my own G4? (serial numbers)?

Simple answer NO!!! One OS install disc = One Single User License = Install on just one computer.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Simple answer NO!!! One OS install disc = One Single User License = Install on just one computer.

- Nick

Does that mean second hand copies on ebay are no good as they would have been used already? Or are they being sold on ebay as they have been uninstalled?

Apologies if that seems a dumb question, just need to make sure before i purchase!

And yes, ill be watching them, not bidding! already have around 15 being watched which end over the next few days!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that mean second hand copies on ebay are no good as they would have been used already?

Apologies if that seems a dumb question, just need to make sure before i purchase!

Mac OS install disks do not have serial numbers, registration numbers, etc. It's the "honor system"!:) So the Mac OS 10.5 install disk you linked for e-Bay will work fine.

No need to apologize. A very important question to ask when it comes to OS install disks!!! You (or I) wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on the wrong thing!

Believe me...I'm totally confused when it comes to Windows OS install disks...especially if we were talking used!!!

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that mean second hand copies on ebay are no good as they would have been used already? Or are they being sold on ebay as they have been uninstalled?

And yes, ill be watching them, not bidding! already have around 15 being watched which end over the next few days!

No if it's the full retail disc, which it is, then it will work fine.
The point Nick makes is to do with Apple insisting that you only install on one computer as it's part of the end user agreement.
It doesn't stop you though, and I personally feel it's a massive grey area.
It will work anyway, rest assured.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Many many thanks guys! Feel a whole lot more confident about buying a disc on ebay now and installing it! May be back on here with some installion questions once i have a disc!

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.