Install Airport Card in Mini?

Reaction score
I got my mini from ebay without the wireless stuff. I realized that i need the mini to work in wireless environment. Is it possible that we can buy the airport extreme card and install it by ourself? Im new to mac and have no idea about mac. Does the mini support the airport extreme card? Im currently in Australia and i have called to the Apple Center. They told me it's gonna cost me $300-400 for installing the airport card and that's three times more expensive that the airport card itself! Any solution guys? Anyone had been successfully install wireless stuff to the mini? Or there is third party wireless card can be used?

Any help and advice would be very appreciated...

Reaction score
I have yet to find a place that sells the aftermarket parts to install an airport card in a mini for a decent price. I have seen all the parts for $140 USD or $200 for the parts plus labor, but for that price I would rather sell my mini, but a new one with that option and Tiger.

OP
J
Reaction score
My mini came with tiger and i only turned it on once...resell the mini might not really good option for me. It's quite expensive as the new one will only be 499. Do you know where i can buy the parts? Hope there is third party device that is compatible to the mini, but looks like it is impossible. Thanks for your advice anyway :)

Reaction score
mac-pro.com sells parts

Also if you want an external USB WiFi adapter, search for AeroPad WUA-800, it isn't cheap but cheaper than an airport upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.2 GHz G4 iBook, 768 MB RAM
jenz said:
My mini came with tiger and i only turned it on once...resell the mini might not really good option for me. It's quite expensive as the new one will only be 499. Do you know where i can buy the parts? Hope there is third party device that is compatible to the mini, but looks like it is impossible. Thanks for your advice anyway :)

here jenz...prices are in canadian dollars....looks good.... http://www.csctoronto.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2226 try that...um and you might want to do a google search for the take apart manual.

OP
J
Reaction score
@Johnny

Thanks so much for the website, yea...think it is pretty hard to install it.

@mynameis

So there is third party USB WiFi Adapter, have you ever tried it? Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah the airport for the mini is on a daughtercard along with bluetooth, so installing it isn't a simple as with other macs.

I think apple doesn't regards it as a 'user-installable part', meaning you might void your warranty by doing it yourself. At least I know that Apple doesn't sell the kit to regular customers to upgrade after purchase.

I'd personally also check out the USB options first unless you're really set on having it internally...
Or try to find a guide on installing it, buy the part and do it yourself.

Reaction score
can u not just take it up to apple and have them install the extreme card?

Reaction score
oh bc i was thinking about purchasing a mini from the store, so would it cost me to have them put it in the day i buy it?

Reaction score
The only way to know for sure is to call them, I would guess you would get charged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
rmhop81 said:
oh bc i was thinking about purchasing a mini from the store, so would it cost me to have them put it in the day i buy it?
If you buy a mini from the store and ask for any upgrades, such as wi-fi, bluetooth, extra RAM they will only charge you the cost, no labour. But you will have to wait because all they really do is have it configured and sent from Apple. You'd get it much quicker if you just ordered online and had it shipped.

D

Deanster

My local Apple store (Seattle- University Village) just happened to have an Airport/BT kit on the 'returns' table in back last time I was there - I got it for $79.99! They said free installation was included, just as with a new one, but as I (obviously) didn't have the mini with me, I could call to schedule a time to bring it in - they said it would take 1/2 hour.

I just did the upgrade myself, choosing to ignore the 'warranty voiding' issue, and it was very easy - the only part that took a little extra effort was getting the antenna wires in their little slot next to the drive module connector.

The airport works super nicely, and the BT seems fine, though I haven't really given it a workout yet.

So, along with the overclocking I described in the Mini Overclocking thread, I now have a 1.58Ghz, 512mb, Airport+BT Mini for the $499 I paid for the 1.25 Mini, $79 for the Airport/BT, and $50 for the 512Mb stick. Total of $630 + tax. Makes the new 1.42/512/80G/Airport Mini for $599 look great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.