installed an app, now how do I find it?

Reaction score
I installed an app and expected it to put an icon on the screen or in the dock, but it didn't. (I did get confirmation in installer that the installation was successful.) I searched the "applications" folder and "utilities" folder and didn't find it. I searched everything else I could click on in finder but no luck. What do I do now?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Did you try running a spotlight search for the name of the application? From there if it does find it, you can press the "Command" key on the name of the application. Then it should open up the directory for you in a new Finder window.

C

chas_m

All applications are found in the Applications folder. If yours isn't there it has been mis-installed, try looking in the Downloads folder inside your home folder. If the actual app is there (and not the DMG file), move it to Applications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@bjmini:

It would help if you told us which app it was that you installed? Certain apps do not install themselves in the Applications folder. Some install an icon in the System Preferences folder under "Other" and can be accessed that way. Have you looked there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.