sound through mini DVI

Reaction score
I have my macbook pro hooked up to my TV through the mini dvi>dvi>hdmi converters, but I can't get the macbook to pick up the hdmi cable as an audio output. I know it's possible on windows, so I figured it was possible on a mac as well. Does anyone know how to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
MBPs will not pass audio through mini-dvi. Only the 2010 model MBPs can pass audio out to hdmi, but it requires a mini displayport to hdmi conversion.

Reaction score
I have my macbook pro hooked up to my TV through the mini dvi>dvi>hdmi converters, but I can't get the macbook to pick up the hdmi cable as an audio output. I know it's possible on windows, so I figured it was possible on a mac as well. Does anyone know how to do this?

Get the mini display to hdmi converter if you have a late 2010 Macbook pro. I have a thread about this.
here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ot...-display-port-hdmi-adapter-2.html#post1104238

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but everyone needs to get their facts straight.

The op in this thread has stated his Mac has mini-DVI.

Suggesting or referring the op to use an adapter that will not even plug into the port on his Mac does no one any good and only confuses others that find this thread looking for mini-DVI connections that have no knowledge about all the varied video adapters / cables that are in use now.

On to the original question, sorry, but you also are mistaken. Brairden has it correct.

While it is true that HDMI can carry both audio and video, it has to be connected to a port that also carries both audio and video. DVI and/or mini-DVI is a video only specification and has never had the ability to carry audio whether on a Mac, a Windows machine, a Linux rig or anything else you can name.

If you need specific recommendations for adapters and cabling, you will need to provide the info requested in the first post here.

(edit: it's not meant to be as gruff as it sounds upon re-reading. There is just a lot of mis-information and half information related to this topic all across the web.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.