Brand New Mac User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini OS X 10.6.4, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD
Hi All,

I have been on the internet for about 13 years, solely as a Windows user.

I have only had this Mac for about 3 days, but so far am having a difficult time with it. Everyone tells me once I get used to it, I will love it! I'm having a hard time with now :Smirk:.

I have started by reading a lot of the Apple site, posts here and the stickies.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to make more progress? I am feeling like it is never going to come easy.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac Forums and the world of Mac. Things are different in the Mac world as compared to the Windows world but you do get used to it.

In the meanwhile, if you have specific questions about anything, search the forum and post it here and we can help you through the learning process..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I have been a Windows user myself for a very long time, since the release of Windows 95. However, I switched to Macintosh in 2008 when I bought my MacBook Pro. I sure am glad I made that switch!

It took me time to get used to it, but once I got the hang of it, it's as easy as water. You'll even start figuring out problems yourself and fixing them without help like you probably do on Windows.

Give it time, it'll get better. And remember, Mac-Forums and Google are your buddies :).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the "welcomes" and the encouraging words!

My first question is based on the "Sticky" for switchers, which said to use the Mac programs. I have never used Safari as a browser. Have lots of experience with Firefox (my favorite), Opera and of course, IE.

The recommendation was to use Safari as a browser. The first thing I did was install Firefox because that is what I am comfortable with. I see the point (especially re: Magic mouse) to use Safari to get full benefits.

However, if I use Safari, is there an "ad block" feature that can be installed so I don't see ads I visit on forums as I can do with Firefox add-ons?
Are pop-ups automatically blocked on Safari (it looks like it is set that way).

C

chas_m

rfreschner beat me to it, this is one of the main resources I recommend for new switchers. Pick up a copy, or at least visit the library and peruse a copy there to determine if you want to buy it. I think you will.

You could also have a look at this essay for a few tips.

Generally speaking, Macs and Windows computers are more ALIKE than they are DIFFERENT. They both use the files-in-folders methodology and broadly use the same organizational schema (leave the system alone, put your files in your home folder, media files broken down by type, etc).

It's only the particulars that are different, but this is why it can be perplexing: it's as though someone broke into your house and rearranged all the furniture. It's all still there, you just don't know where anything is anymore! :)

This part requires a mental adjustment that involves UNlearning a few workflows/methods and understanding the reasoning behind the Mac way of doing things.

The key thing to keep in mind, though, is that the Mac usually has three or four different ways to do almost anything, so there is no THIS IS THE ONLY WAY business. Whatever works for you, works. There might be a more efficient or elegant way to do things than the way you do them, but the POINT of a computer is to be "enjoyably productive," and as long as that's being achieved, "yr doin it rite" as the lolcats say. :)

Reaction score
For pretty much any topic, get hold of a copy of 'The Missing Manual...' from David Pogue. Easy to read, witty and gives vey full coverage of the subject.

Cheers M

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rfreschner beat me to it, this is one of the main resources I recommend for new switchers. Pick up a copy, or at least visit the library and peruse a copy there to determine if you want to buy it. I think you will.

You could also have a look at this essay for a few tips.

Generally speaking, Macs and Windows computers are more ALIKE than they are DIFFERENT. They both use the files-in-folders methodology and broadly use the same organizational schema (leave the system alone, put your files in your home folder, media files broken down by type, etc).

It's only the particulars that are different, but this is why it can be perplexing: it's as though someone broke into your house and rearranged all the furniture. It's all still there, you just don't know where anything is anymore! :)

This part requires a mental adjustment that involves UNlearning a few workflows/methods and understanding the reasoning behind the Mac way of doing things.

The key thing to keep in mind, though, is that the Mac usually has three or four different ways to do almost anything, so there is no THIS IS THE ONLY WAY business. Whatever works for you, works. There might be a more efficient or elegant way to do things than the way you do them, but the POINT of a computer is to be "enjoyably productive," and as long as that's being achieved, "yr doin it rite" as the lolcats say. :)

I read the essay you posted and asked a question re: safari based on your suggestions.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
@jsgal, the latest version of Safari does have support for extensions so that you can install "ad block" on it..but there is no reason for you not to continue using Firefox if you're more comfortable with it..

Personally, I use Chrome as my default browser..I've never been a Safari user and only tried the latest version to try out the Reeder functionality which is quite cool..

I switched to Chrome from being a long term Firefox user..

I'm not sure what features you are missing with the Magic Mouse and non-Safari browsers..but I wouldn't sweat that right now..

Regards

Reaction score
I'd say embrace the whole deal, dive right in, safari surf and everything. Multitouch and hot keys. DL AdBlocker for Safari works great.

Don't be worried about security and viruses and trojans like so many new switchers. Just don't click on links in emails in general, and know that nothing gets installed without your entering a password.

I switched last summer and in about a week I could see the benefits clearly, and then I got much better at it all. So simple and elegant. No more IT side job keeping it all running normally. Don't do exotic hardware changes for awhile. Don't run everything on Win7 in a partition or in parallels. Just take the plunge and learn it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
Hey jsgal ....... I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you in the switch. First thing I did was install FireFox because, like you, I was comfortable/familiar with it, I'll check out Safari in slower time. There is a lot to get your head around at first but stick in there and you will be rewarded once it all starts to fall into place. Good luck, you are in the correct place for help ..... it's helped me enormously :)

Dave B.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shutting Down the Mac Mini--Please Share!

Thanks again to more of you for the warm welcome & responses!

My question is, could someone tell me all the different ways to shut down my Mac Mini (from Apple menu to key combos).

What type of time frame would I be looking at to want to "sleep" it, as opposed to "shut down".

What's best for the computer overall is what I am looking for and a power save if possible.

I don't know the specs or where to find them right now, but it is a Mac Mini, OS X v 10.6.4.

Thanks for all the help, I would just the to find the easiest way for me and the most appropriate for a situation,

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My question is, could someone tell me all the different ways to shut down my Mac Mini (from Apple menu to key combos).

To save on Key strokes have a look at the whole list of Key Combo's. You will be surprised at what you can do .. PS Where its says Apple they mean the Command key Mac Keyboard Shortcuts

What type of time frame would I be looking at to want to "sleep" it, as opposed to "shut down".

Well to be honest, a lot of us around here 'sleep' our Macs all the time. The only time i really shut down is when i get a system update that requires it to be rebooted. I have had it turned on for 73days straight once .... The beauty of Mac. And the best thing is it will wake from 'sleep' instantly. But the choice is your. 12 odd secs to shut down and 27 odd to start up WOW lol

What's best for the computer overall is what I am looking for and a power save if possible.

Hit the /System Preferences/Energy Saver and have a play around. WARNING : Make sure that you UNCHECK Put the HardDisks to sleep where possible.

I don't know the specs or where to find them right now, but it is a Mac Mini, OS X v 10.6.4.

Again /About This Mac then click 'More Info' and that will bring up your System Profiler ....

Thanks for all the help, I would just the to find the easiest way for me and the most appropriate for a situation,

J

YW and dont be shy to keep asking questions. Is why we are here :)

Cheers

C

chas_m

The recommendation was to use Safari as a browser. The first thing I did was install Firefox because that is what I am comfortable with.

Which is fine. It was a recommendation, not a command. As I said, if you feel you have a good reason not to, go ahead. If you feel comfortable with Firefox, use it. One should always be open to trying new things, of course, but being "enjoyably productive" is THE biggest reason to use Macs, so if FF gives you that feeling by all means you should use it.

However, if I use Safari, is there an "ad block" feature that can be installed so I don't see ads I visit on forums as I can do with Firefox add-ons?
Are pop-ups automatically blocked on Safari (it looks like it is set that way).

The answer to your question is "yes there is," but of course ads are the ONLY reason forums like this one exist at all, so I'd urge you to consider white-listing some forums -- like this one -- so that their ads appear.

On sites I like, I only block the obnoxious flash ads (I really cannot stand animated ads -- I absolutely hate having my eye forced off stuff I'm trying to read by blinking/strobing/bouncing/obnoxious tomfoolery in an ad).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hit the /System Preferences/Energy Saver and have a play around. WARNING : Make sure that you UNCHECK Put the HardDisks to sleep where possible.

This was CHECKED by default, so I unchecked it. What does putting the HardDisks to sleep where possible do that I don't want it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This was CHECKED by default, so I unchecked it. What does putting the HardDisks to sleep where possible do that I don't want it?

For the short quick answer, All HD's have a number a recommended Start/Stop cycles for maximum longevity and if you keep putting the HD to sleep then waking it when you need it those cycles will quickly diminish. It has working parts as well so the whole HD will have a shorter life than usual. .......

If you need the full on Technical solution, ill try find something in Apple Support for you ..

Cheers

EDIT : The X Lab : Hard Drive Sleep Info

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you

No, that's great...good enough for me!

I see since you edited with a URL though, I will take a peek and see if it's over my head or not....

Thanks so much for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.