Ready to throw Little Miss MacBook out the window!

Reaction score
Hi All!

My name is Angela and I'm on a quest to convert our old VHS home movie tapes into one DVD as a Xmas gift for my family.

Little Miss MacBook ran out of space a long time ago so I bought a Time Capsule. My friend helped me to configure it so I don't actually use it to connect to the net - the plan was I would connect to it offline and it would do regular backups for me.

Well, it does connect fine offline and it is regularly backing up. Unfortunately, I recently realised (when it mattered most) that it's backing up Little Miss MacBook's harddrive instead of the stuff I've been storing on the Time Capsule.

Meanwhile, Little Miss MacBook is still complaining that she's full. How can this be?

Sincerely,

A confused little Angela O:)

CIMG0464.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Meanwhile, Little Miss MacBook is still complaining that she's full. How can this be?

Sincerely,

A confused little Angela O:)

Yes you are confused!;) An Apple Time Capsule is generally used as a backup device for your Macbook's internal hard drive. This means that the "Time Capsule" backups or duplicates what ever is currently installed or stored on your Macbook's hard drive.

The "Time Capsule" does absolutely nothing to help with the "full" hard drive situation of your Macbook's full hard drive. To fix your Macbook's full hard drive problem you either need to:

- delete some stuff from your Macbook's hard drive to free up some space
- install a bigger hard drive into your Macbook

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Or, buy another external hard drive and move some of the larger files, like your movies, iPhoto, iTunes, etc. to that and use the apps from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Something else if you putting these home movies on one dvd as I understand it and it is
out of room, a dvd is usually 4.7gb and if you are out of space you probably exceeded the
recommended free space your Mac needs to function efficiently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you do need at minim um of 15% free space on the little miss's hard drive to operate anywhere near peak efficiency. Sounds like you are in the market for a much larger internal HDD and then pop the current drive into an external case and use for back ups.

And as Nick has advised Time Capsule is for backing up the drive so it is only doing its job.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for your replies. I didn't realise anybody had replied! I'm off to find an external hard drive to join our gang!

All the best!
Ange

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.