External hard drive formatted fat32

Reaction score
I have a WD 240gb hard drive which I have formatted on my mac as fat32 in order to use with PCs at work. The problem I am having is that when I delete a file from the hard drive when using the mac, the available space on the hard drive doesn't increase?
Any help appreciated.
Peter

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are presumably deleting the file from the external HD by moving it to the trash (and even if you're not), so the files are in the trash waiting to be rescued if you need them. So WITH the external HD plugged in, empty the trash and the space will be available..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I wouldn't recommend using FAT32 as you will not be able to add a file that is 4GB or higher. I have a WD 160GB hard drive and I formatted it as NTFS and I can read it on both Windows and Macintosh just fine.

And as Raz0r said, when you delete anything, check the Trash and remove it from there also.

C

chas_m

Tarek fails to mention, however, that NTFS is read-only by default on the Mac. This may or may not be a huge issue.

There are rather geeky ways around it, but for "normal" people I usually suggest just sticking with FAT32 if the drive must be used with both PC and Mac and avoiding using it with any files larger than 4GB (which apart from video is generally pretty easy to do).

I'm all about the lazy, easy way to do stuff. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We probably should also mention to the folks who are using Snow Leopard that it can read and write to NTFS although it's not turned on by default. Easy enough to do if you know Terminal or just download the free ntfsMounter.app.

Reaction score
We probably should also mention to the folks who are using Snow Leopard that it can read and write to NTFS although it's not turned on by default. Easy enough to do if you know Terminal or just download the free ntfsMounter.app.

Thanks chscag, this will save me having to mess about reformatting and copying between drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Thanks for the input, cash_m, I forgot to mention that. In order to be able to read & write, install NTFS-3G at Tuxera

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.